M&K 55 surrounds

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
seen a pair of these in my local sevnoaks. were £800 now £400. should i buy them? M&K are supposed to make some of the worlds best speakers. would use with denon 4308 and B&W xt4 and XT centre

A

Anonymous

is anyone using real home cinema kit anymore, or has everyone gone down the gadget laden onkyo and sony pretenders route?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="quasibongo"]is anyone using real home cinema kit anymore, or has everyone gone down the gadget laden onkyo and sony pretenders route?[/quote]

Another really useful post, then

A

Anonymous

dont mean to offend Andrew but i have been reading the mag since 1990 when it was still balck and white! been subscribing since 2005, and used to it buy my orginal hi gear of Arcam amp, mission 760's and a cd63ki sig! now use cyrus pre power gear for hi fi. i just think these HCIAB systems are justnot capableof REAL home cinema or two channel sound. how can a power supply that resides in these things power 5 channels of sound plus a dvd player and have enough in reserve for the swings in dynamics in films and music? answer. IT CAN'T!!

would be interested to know what kit the team have at home having spent their own money. Sony etal are major jap brands that cater to the masses with mass market products with mass market results. my mate has a panny HCIAB and thinks is sounds great!! it's one of the worst products i have ever had the displeasure of hearing!! maybe i need to shringe my ears with Cillit Bang? ( no intentional product placement intended) it sounds like 5 tv speaks with no dynamic range and is a prime example of these HCIAB. only one i would recommend is the Arcam. am also in a very good mood today just think it's time the mag started reviewing more real kit instead of concentrating on mainstream kit from comet and co all the time. if anyone walked into one of these stores tomorrow and asked for a hi fi they would end up with some plastic rubbish that no doubt had 1000 watts of power and was "real good bass man" from the no idea salesman. same if you asked about denon, or sim2 in these sheds as my local curry's told me two years ago that a one grand pj would be better than anything the cinema could do and guess what it was a Sony!! think i'll stick with my infocus, hopefully changing to a Sim2 next year

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You can see our systems here.

And i'm not going to apologise for us covering HCIAB kit - yes of course they're a compromise, but if you don't have the space, money or partner-tolerance for a separates system, they're your best option. We can at least steer people towards the best for their money, as there is a lot of rubbish out there.

You say the only one-box cinema you'd recommend is the Arcam - assuming you mean the Arcam Solo Movie, that's £2000, without speakers. Sure people would love to afford that level of system, but many people simply don't have that cash.

A

Anonymous

wow, a dragon! you must have had that a long time!! very suprised you have a PV1 though. did you have to buy it may i ask? have you heard subs like Rel 305/505 that leave the pv1 for dead? also what about svs, sunfire subs? sound wise they walk all over the pv1

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I've got the pick of subwoofers, but I prefer one that does its true job - underpinning TV and movie action with taut, fast and accurate bass - rather than dominating the sound. You should be hearing the on-screen action - bullets, explosions, doors slamming, whatever - not the subwoofer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts