Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Thank goodness I never bought this

Watched it on Sky.

Another movie based on the premise man will evolve into God.

Like Interstellar.

It must be the latest trend in Hollywood. I've never understood Scarlet Johanssons appeal myself.

Anyone else have an opinion on this film?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately I saw this at the flicks, utter tripe, 3 out of 10 at the most and the worst film I saw last year.

I would give Interstellar 6/10. Where have all the good films gone?

There would have been worse films than Lucy last year but I didn't see them fortunately.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
Movies such as Lucy are for pure entertainment, not to ponder over. For the record, Interstellar never tried to potray man evolving into God. There was no mention of "God" in the movie. 

All films can be pondered over.

The Rock - a seemingly innocent pop corn flick apparently was about James Bond or Connery's Bond.

Bond being a pseudonym for the 00 agent only.

He had turned rouge and had been locked up for Spying apparently for 30yrs....read some crazy theory regards the film the other day.

The God theory is implied in Interstellar as it is in Lucy.

I guess that's what's implied when she achieves 100% brain capacity and go's back to the big bang at the end.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Unfortunately I saw this at the flicks, utter tripe, 3 out of 10 at the most and the worst film I saw last year.

I would give Interstellar 6/10. Where have all the good films gone?

There would have been worse films than Lucy last year but I didn't see them fortunately.

?

?

Lol......

I hear you, good films are rare these days.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
While there are numerous movie genres, there are three types of films.

True stories. (Zodiac)

Escapist/silly/OTT/fantastical etc. (Kick Ass)

And those films that have real meaning, that require some brain power to digest and decipher. (2001)

Feel free to suggest a fourth if you can think of one, but I think most movies can be attached to one of those three groups.

It's safe to say that Luc Besson generally falls within the second category I've listed. I enjoyed his previous movie The Family, but I haven't seen Lucy yet.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
Thompsonuxb said:
The God theory is implied in Interstellar as it is in Lucy.

Actually no. They initially thought it must be God, but it turned out they were humans from the future (Cooper specifically).

The ability to manufacture a wormhole, the multi-dimension teseract on the edge of a black hole, the ability to transcend time and space or shape the future. localizing a given timeline.

If those are not God like qualities, what is?

Lucy achieves the ability to transcend time and space and manipulate her surroundings through telekinesis once 100% brain use achieved. She actually leaves her physical self behind.

Massive leap I know but this is what Intastellar alludes to - ref future 'man'. Is it not?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
While there are numerous movie genres, there are three types of films.?

True stories. (Zodiac)

Escapist/silly/OTT/fantastical etc. (Kick Ass)

And those films that have real meaning, that require some brain power to digest and decipher. (2001)

Feel free to suggest a fourth if you can think of one, but I think most movies can be attached to one of those three groups.

It's safe to say that Luc Besson generally falls within the second category I've listed. I enjoyed his previous movie The Family, but I haven't seen Lucy yet.

Check it out Dave. Granted its Not Lucs finest work - it was missing a Bruce Willis/Jason Statham character but it still featured something to do with France - let's hear your opinion on it..... :)

Those categories can they be mixed?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
People, only 200 years ago, thought flying was a divine quality and it's not possible for humans to be airborne. They considered diseases as a wrath of God only until 60 years ago.

They also would of found the concept of moving pictures transmitted through the air impossible to fathom.

I accept that.

But these are mechanical advances not evolutionary ones.

There lies the crux.

That's why to a degree the Matrix was so revolutionary. In cyberspace - mans own creation all these abilities are possible.

In 'God's' universe not so, that's an opinion.

The unspeakable horrors that took place for modern medicine to exsist as we know it though is a whole other topic.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Check it out Dave. Granted its Not Lucs finest work - it was missing a Bruce Willis/Jason Statham character but it still featured something to do with France - let's hear your opinion on it..... :)
Will do when I get round to it...

Dunno, I made that up when reading the thread. I've thought of a few favourite films of mine, and they've all fallen into one of those categories. True stories don't tend to be OTT or have any deep meaning as they're real life (Zodiac/Chaplin/The Social Network/Foxcatcher/Snowtown). OTT movies don't tend to be true stories, or have any real deep meaning (that may be the only slight crossover, although you could just lump some films into the most suitable category) (Wanted/Mission Impossible/Tomb Raider/The Thing/American Werewolf In London/Bond). And movies with deep meanings that tax the brain don't tend to be OTT or true stories (2001/Mulholland Drive/Lost Highway/Enemy). I'm sure there are some examples out there that will add another category or void my post altogether!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Paul. said:
Where does Fargo fall as its a movie pretending to be a true story?
Well it definitely isn't a true story. I think Fargo would be like No Country For Old Men, where it isn't true, and it isn't particularly deep and meaningful (although many don't get the ending of NCFOM). So it would fall more into the other category. I suppose it falls into the other category under escapist, although the events in both films can happen.

Thompsonuxb said:
bigboss said:
People, only 200 years ago, thought flying was a divine quality and it's not possible for humans to be airborne. They considered diseases as a wrath of God only until 60 years ago.

They also would of found the concept of moving pictures transmitted through the air impossible to fathom.

I accept that.

There lies the crux.

That's why to a degree the Matrix was so revolutionary. In cyberspace - mans own creation all these abilities are possible.

The unspeakable horrors that took place for modern medicine to exsist as we know it though is a whole other topic.

How can we set boundaries to what man can achieve? Quantum teleportation has already been successfully demonstrated in a lab.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
Thompsonuxb said:
bigboss said:

I accept that.

There lies the crux.

How can we set boundaries to what man can achieve? Quantum teleportation has already been successfully demonstrated in a lab.

Quite easily. Physically there are limits, consider most of man's achievements are aided by 'tools' - to exists outside a physical realm and maintain individuality and all the emotional cubbins that go's with it is an interesting idea though.

What would happen if you had a billion such beings?

Would it be the equivalent of death or the state we are in before conception?

Do you have a link ref quantum teleportation?

Thompsonuxb said:
bigboss said:
Thompsonuxb said:
bigboss said:

I accept that.

There lies the crux.

Quite easily. Physically there are limits, consider most of man's achievements are aided by 'tools' - to exists outside a physical realm and maintain individuality and all the emotional cubbins that go's with it is an interesting idea though.

All that man needs is better understanding of Physics.

If the universe is like rolled up paper that many theorists believe, wormholes are entirely possible.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
Thompsonuxb said:
bigboss said:
Thompsonuxb said:
bigboss said:

I accept that.

There lies the crux.

All that man needs is better understanding of Physics.

If the universe is like rolled up paper that many theorists believe, wormholes are entirely possible.

I dunno - understanding physics does not make the impossible possible without the aid of tools.

That theory ref 'rolled up paper'......

The sphere is the universal shape - all known bodies within our universe is spherical.

Indeed, from the big bang theory the sphere would be the natural shape of the universe.

The universe expanding away from point 0.

Time to is consistent with the sphere. Everything moving to a single clock away from point 0. (black hole theory being questionable)

Well, by my calculations anyway.... :)

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Wasn't very detailed was it. I think I need to subscribe to something to get the full article.....like that's gonna happen.

I was hoping it would give real detail. It says nothing really.

tongue in cheek, but if you can't work out how to google for the results yourself, you sure as hell ain't going to be able to understand it ;) :p

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
People, only 200 years ago, thought flying was a divine quality and it was not possible for humans to be airborne.

If they hadn't heard about the 32 years of hot-air ballon flight that had been going on since the Montgolfier's first successful jaunt.

bigboss said:
They considered diseases as a wrath of God only until 60 years ago.

HIV/AIDs was still - widely - considered as such by many (even here in the so-called 'developed world') in the 1980s. (Sadly some still believe this.)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

Watched it last night... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts