LPCM Or Bitstream

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Was watching Iron Man Bluray Last night on my PS3 also have a Yamaha RX-V363 Amp. My amp can only Decode DTS and DD5.1. I started of watching the movie in Dolby Digital but was having great difficulty with the words so i changed from Bitstream to LPCM what a complete Difference. Although the PS3 can decode HD Audio and send it has LPCM it was so much Clearer and crisper. It begs the question why is DD5.1 so bad. When i pressed select on the PS3 controller the screen was showing Dolby True HD 5.1 Ch 48Khz 2.9 Mbps. Compared to Dolby Digital Multi Channel 48 Khz 640 Kpbs. Below are a Couple of Screenshots i took.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi again,
Remembering from your last post you must be using optical, the only thing I can think is, the Dolby Digital soundtrack included on the disc is not very well mixed, whereas the TrueHD version is. When you're choosing Linear PCM on the PS3, you're not getting the decoded Dolby TrueHD track as optical cannot handle this, instead you are getting the core Dolby Digital track (which is stored within the TrueHD track) which is then being decoded onboard by the PS3 and being sent to the amp as PCM.
EDIT - don't have the disc to test this, but if other people aren't getting the same results, it might be something wrong with your settings.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Prof, i think iwill watch my Dvds on Dolby Digital and Blurays on LPCM, seeing that the vast majority of Dvds came with DD5.1 as there main audio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts