LP12 value - any help?

willgaunt

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Looking at bidding on what's described as an "early" LP12, looks in good nick (ok am basing that on incomplete photos and the word of the seller) with SME series III arm and Shure V15 Type IV. Any ideas on what sort of price this should go for? Am confused by prices ranging from a couple of hundred to a grand for items that look largely the same to me!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Lots of "depends on"...

The SME arm will generate quite a bit of interest, so will push the price to around the same as an LP12/Ittok, although IMO the SME is inferior to the Ittok on an LP12 (synergy, y'see).

Has the LP12 got a Valhalla power supply? It will have a black power button with a red LED in it. If it has a red square button, then it's a basic.

Also, the plinth colour affects price. The afromosia (teak) fluted design gets the highest prices.

So I would say that it (assuming that SME/Shure combo is in good nick) would start at around £600 for a black basic , rising to somewhere between £750-900 for a valhalla afromosia.

I sold my afro/valhalla/ittok for around £800 about 6 months ago, which I was happy with.

willgaunt

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Pretty sure it must be basic. Looks like a red square button anyway. And no idea about the wood. Looks brown to me!

Well it might all turn out to be more than I can afford then. Did you sell to upgrade?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Yep, the brown wood would be the afromosia finish.

Not really - I needed the cash so downgraded to the SL1210. TBH, not as huge a step backwards as I was imagining. I lost a little detail, but not £600 worth...and far easier to use!

LP12s are notorious for needing servicing and meticulous setting up. This can be done by the amateur, but needs to be done in situ as a car journey back from the dealer will upset the suspension again.

I would say (and I'm likely to get a little abuse for this) that a well-looked-after SL1210 with a good cartridge like an AT-120E or Ortofon Red would equal or beat an early LP12 basic with a similar cartridge. And cost a darn site less (£250ish vs £600ish) .

But that's very much IMO...

SteveR750

If it helps I sold my early 80s LP12 / Ittok / Goldring 1042 for around £800 about 18 months ago. I had spent around £100 on a service and new belt + the cartridge when I bought it - it had the valhalla PS. The arm bearings were as you would expect for something so old, ever so slightly sticky but perfectly acceptable. It sounded simply magical when it was set up, even through my NAD / B&W set up at the time. I'd love to have heard it through my current system

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Agree with most of the comments made, I sold my LP12/Ittok/Valhalla for
£800 a while back (seems to be the magic number!). The one you're
looking at on fleabay certainly looks OK although the SME is just wrong
for an LP12 and I would dump it in favour of an Ittok (at least) anyday,
It's obviously running the basic power supply so you are going to have
to factor in a valhalla or hercules power supply. The Shure is a good
cartridge but this one is quite old now so a new one will probably be
needed. (soon adds up doesn't it) I won't get involved in the LP12 vs. Technics SL1200 debate as I've had both!

willgaunt

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all. Decided I can't afford to pursue it any further than it's already gone. Or at least I'd have a very hard time explaining it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts