Low power amps integrated into network players

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Your thoughts or personal experience please .. are these a false economy, or can the low power amplification in some of the more recent network player offerings challenge separate player / amp setups when coupled with reasonably efficient speakers (say 88dB or more).

Some examples:

* Naim Uniti Qute - 30W into 8ohm

* Cyrus Streamline - 30W into 8ohm

* Linn Sneaky DS - 20W into 4ohm

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I heard the Cyrus playing into some Linn speakers (Majik I think), and was quite taken with the sound.....which is good, as I don't usually like Cyrus.

The Sneaky also sounds much better than you'd imagine, provided the speakers are efficient enough. I think it makes a great starter system, and then when funds allow, the amp can be turned off and you have a wonderful source (ie. with a more powerful amp, or as a pre into a power amp).

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
That's interesting to hear about the Cyrus as that's the one that appeals in terms of being an integrated player (bar the obligatory NAS drive) with a decent remote control interface.

WRT to the Sneaky it's also interesting that you described the amp as only "great for a starter system" ... I thought the amp might have a bit more legs than that .. the main USP of these devices is that they can be used as a high quality all-in-one device, mitigating the need to upgrade and add more boxes.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I briefly heard Cyrus Streamline powering B&W PM1 AFAIK, but playing a song that I know and like; "Hypnotize" by Les Rythmes Digitales. it was only a brief listening because I couldn't stand the sound for too long :). it sounded horrible! and was utterly unpleasant. probably the worst sound of Dublin hi-fi show 2011. I actually played the same song to my GF when we came back home to show her how great the song can sound on our system.

John Duncan

I can't speak for the Linn or the Cyrus but I like the 'Qute a lot. It really depends on what kind of room you want to fill, and how loud you like your music though, because it's not exactly a powerhouse. Worked very well in my house though.

A great, complete system would be a UnitiQute, a UnitiServe and a pair of PMC DB1s-IIa. Looks v. cool, bit perfect rips, and all the power comes from the DB1 'Actives'. Stupid money for what it does, of course... :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tino said:
That's interesting to hear about the Cyrus as that's the one that appeals in terms of being an integrated player (bar the obligatory NAS drive) with a decent remote control interface.

WRT to the Sneaky it's also interesting that you described the amp as only "great for a starter system" ... I thought the amp might have a bit more legs than that .. the main USP of these devices is that they can be used as a high quality all-in-one device, mitigating the need to upgrade and add more boxes.

Re the Cyrus - given the diverging opinions, a good long test is a must. When I heard it, it was on dem at my dealer (when I called in for something else).....I poked my nose into the room for about 15 minutes, and what I heard was a sound that was clean, precise and enjoyable (and I hate anything bright). Now this could have been the synergy with the speakers, or some well recorded music...I can't say for certain. It surprised me that I enjoyed it.

Oldric's assessment could be spot on, or have been caused by the vagaries of listening at a show and a speaker that didn't hit the spot.

Linn Sneaky - Let me put that slightly differently. It's the first rung on the Linn ladder, which sounds very competent indeed, within the limited power available. There are those who think it sounds as good as a LK 140: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=4370

My opinion is that it will give a taste of what could be achieved and so eventually lead to an amp upgrade at some stage.....and then as a source, it can happily live in a highend system.

This is what I meant by a starter system (ie. A very flexible piece of kit that will probably be the start of a hifi journey). Though saying all that, it can happily work as a stand alone system, when matched with the right speakers.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts ... I personally think devices like these are "the future" so I'm interested to see how the market develops in this area. I'm inclined to believe that the inclusion of low power amplification is done deliberately to lead you down the upgrade path and further up the manufacturer's range. Why limit to 20W or 30W? ... if you take a look inside some of these boxes there is room to spare to have larger or uprated amplification, especially if using Class D. Now a 50W integrated amp / network player with one or two analogue inputs and a sprinkling of digital inputs would be my ideal ... the Cyrus and Simple Audio network player are almost there, and the Linn Makis DSM sounds almost perfect (especially since it also does HDMI) but is a tad too pricey for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts