Low Output or High OutPut? NAD amplification Please help

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi, Just discovered your site whilst looking for some advice as follows:

System:

Rotel RCD 971 CD, Nad 1155 Preamp, 2 x Nad 2200PE Power amp in Bridged setup with Attenuators between phono lead from preamp and input, Mission M74i Speakers (Recent addition)

My query is with the Nad 1155. I have recently added these speakers and an extra Nad 2200PE used bridged with my existing Nad2200PE. My problem is with volume.

Connecting the Nad 2200s to the normal output of the preamp gives a good sound but cranking up to get more Bass causes a bit of "Edge" to the treble. If I connect via the High level output the Bass is phenominal but at a very low volume rotation. The treble is not so harsh without the "Edge" but there is hardly any control on the volume. It's either loud or ridicoulously loud, no inbetween.

I thought the attenuators would help the volume control issue but I guess there's too much power?

Would I be better off connecting to the high level preamp output and perhaps using the Low Level function switch on the preamp to give more useable volume control? or should I steer clear and only use the normal output with some other tweek that you may be able to advise to reduce the "edginess"? I can use treble defeat but this is not purist eh?

Hope someone out there can help!

Pike

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I've sorted the problem.

Took out attenuators between preamp and power amp and use the "Low level" Preamp switch. This, according to the manual, reduces the output by 20Db. This has given me much better volume control in particular control over the edginess without having to use the Treble defeat.

The previous posts on attenuators, bi amping and monoblocs gave me some great pointers.

Cheers All

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts