Loudspeaker upgrade

pit_o

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello everybody

I was thinking about upgrading my current speakers, a pair of wharfedale diamond 10.1.

The amp I use them with is a nad 316bee, I use it mainly for vinyl with a project debut carbon esprit 2m red. I'm happy enough with this set up, love the nad sound and the bass that comes with it, but I just wanted to step it up a notch with a new pair of speakers, maybe something a little more detailed and clear on the high frequencies, and a bass a bit drier and punchier. The candidates I have in mind for now are (in casual order):

1. Monitor Audio Bronze bx 2

2. KEF q300

3. Dali Zensor 3

I'd also like them to be a suitable choice in the (still undefined) future, when maybe I'll change the amp with something with more power. If it can be of any help, the music i mainly listen to is rock/indie rock/blues/a little electro (arcade fire, the national, queens of the stone age, white stripes, son house, lcd sounsystem...)

I intend to listen to them in a shop as soon as i can, but i thought i'd ask for some feedback or personal experience from you all, maybe even suggestions about items i should consider beyond these (possibly in the same price range).

Thanks to everyone in advance! P

Welcome to the forum (madhouse?)

You do not state which part of the world you are from and what you can actually get to audition. If you can take your own amp and audition as much as you can, do not be afraid to try speakers you might never have heard of. If you like the Wharfdale sound yo might try the the 122's. You do not state maximum budget but we can probably work that out from your speakers listed.

Like mathewpiano I would choose the Dali's out of your short list but don't let that influence you as speakers / room integration are very personal things. Just get out and try to audition as much as you can and, if you cannot try them in your listening room itself, then take your own amp to the dealers.

nopiano may indeed have a point there. You could attack the "little more detailed and clear on the high frequencies, and a bass a bit drier and punchier" from the other end of the chain, so to speak. It may well be an avenue to approach before speaker upgrade as this alone may give you what you want as the 2M Red is not that highly rated by many on this forum.

pit_o

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm from italy (rome), but unfortunately there are no dealers close to where I live selling the dali's.

Thanks for the suggestion about the 2mblue, I have to admit i really wasn't thinking in that direction. Maybe now I will, despite the "audiophile money-wasting momentum" I had gained with the loudspeaker upgrade!

P

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I think the best option for you is the B&W 685 , Heard it with the NAD amp , The sound was astonishing for this price level .

http://www.whathifi.com/bw/685/review

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts