Loud cracking noises when listening to music

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all

Hope someone can come to my rescue with some simple advice.

My components are:

speakers - Acoustic Energy AE109s

cable - Cabletalk 3 bi-wireable (?)

amp - Technics SU-A900MK2

cd player - Technics SL-PD887

The problem I have is an intermittent loud cracking noise - that I can only liken to Indiana Jones cracking his bullwhip - when listening to CDs. The noise is audible when listening to some CDs but not on others and occurs at differing volumes depending on the CD.

This noise didn't happen before I stored the speakers at my mother's house due to moving properties and I have been assured that they haven't been damaged to her knowledge and they look OK. They have been connected to the amplifier as before, and I have tried not bi-wiring and different outputs but I just get the same result.

Are the speakers at fault, and will this noise damage them further if I continue to use them at volumes where they make the cracking noise?

Regards, Nige.

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Nige

I had something similar happen to my setup a few years ago. I was convinced that I had done something awful to it (the system had been kept in storage while I was living in a tiny student flat). For me, I got terrible crackling and interference when changing volume, and occasionally during just normal playback.

I took the system to my local dealer, and after a quick blast with an air duster, the system was back to normal again! The dust had worked its way into the casing of the amplifier and was responsible for all the noise that I was hearing.

Try giving your system (amp, cd, an speaker connections) a good spring clean with an air duster! I'm sure that from the symptoms you're describing that is the answer.

good luck

Mike.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts