Lost some channels.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I have lost some channels on my Sky HD box

When I turn it on I have checked signal quality and strength, and they are near maximum on both inputs.

However when I select Sky Premier HD, all I get is a frozen picture and no sound. When I check the signal strength when switched to this channel the quality and strength are virtually zero on input 2. There are several other channels like that.

Anyone any ideas?

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Unplug the box from the mains for about a minute. Plug it back in, wait another 30 seconds and the turn it on (welcome to my world). If that doesn't help, try a planner rebuild (google is your friend here, or Daveh). You won't lose any of your recordings by doing this.

daveh75

If a reboot, planner rebuild etc hasn't helped, what happens if you swap the LNB feeds round so that the one that was connected to tuner 1 is now on tuner 2 and vice versa? Does it still show no strength/quality on tuner 2?

Also what other channels are effected, besides Premier HD? Don't need a complete list, a few will do, just to see if they're on the same band/polarity...

daveh75

Those are all high band/vertically polarised channels you're having trouble with. Most common causes are usually either dish alignment/LNB skew (though unless you've had any severe weather, or work done that could have moved the dish, it's probably not), LNB fault or tuner fault.

If you try swapping the sat feeds as suggested, and post the results, should be able to narrow the cause down further....

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Swapped input leads, and it is exactly the same. When I am on one of the missing channels the signal strength on input 2 is zero, but input 1 is near maximum.

When I change channels to a channel that works then both inputs are near maximum strength and quality.

Hope this helps!
emotion-7.gif

daveh75

Should have asked in the begining, but what make SkyHD box is it?

Because if it's a Thomson, it's almost a certainty that the box that's at fault and the PSU has finally given up(as they all do eventually on Thomsons)...And will need replacing.

But one more thing to try is putting the box into single feed mode and try the channels that you're having trouble with and let us know the outcome...

To enable 'single feed mode', Press "services" on the remote, then press 0-0-1 and select in quick succession, which takes you into the installer/set-up menu.

Then scroll down,using the down arrow button, so single feed mode is highlighted, then press the right arrow button to change the setting from "OFF" to "ON" .

Then press the green button to save the settings, you should then get an OSM saying "Single Feed Mode-Caution" ,Press select and the box should re-boot. Then you're done.

daveh75

chudleighpaul:
I have already tried the single feed mode, and it made no difference.

I am not sure what type of box it is, where will it say?

Press 'Services' on your Sky remote, scroll down to System set-up and press select, then scroll down to System Details and press select. Or look on the back panel

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Don't forget to contact Sky about this problem if you haven't already done so. They will tell you to do some of the things other posters have already suggested, but at the end of the day it's their problem, and their responsibility to resolve it for you.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
whiskywheels:Don't forget to contact Sky about this problem if you haven't already done so. They will tell you to do some of the things other posters have already suggested, but at the end of the day it's their problem, and their responsibility to resolve it for you.

emotion-21.gif

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Phoned Sky today, they tried to charge me £65 for refurbished box.

I pleaded poverty, told them I am a pensioner and had been a loyal Sky customer since they first started, and if I had to pay I would cancel my sub.

Result, free service call on Thursday, and if they can't fix it, a new box.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Sky guy arrived at 8 am.

Said they are having floods of complaints about Thomson boxes, they are all going wrong together. They no longer repair them, they scrap all Thomson boxes, but repair other models.

Replaced my box with Amstrad box which seems OK. No charge at all.

Thanks Dave for your help, your advice was spot on.
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts