Looking to switch from Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 to Sony KDL-55HX853 - Will I regret it?

Buttmonki

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have little interest in 3D and love my Pioneer Kuro set. However what I don't love is that it is like having a 50" heater in my living room. I live in Dubai and have to put the aircon on just to be able to watch the TV. It heats up the entire room and is costing a fortune! So I think I need to change it.

I am considering sending the Pioneer back to the UK (where people need heating, even at Easter!) to put in my house which I'm renting (lucky tenants) or selling it if taking it back is impractical. Then replacing it with a Sony KDL-55HX853, DH has his eye on the B&O Beovision 11-55 but we won't dwell on his fantasies.

Question is if I get rid of the Kuro and switch to an LED set am I going to regret it and wish I hadn't? As I said if it wasn't for the heat issue I'd be more than happy with the Pioneer.

Otherwise are there any other sets anyone can suggest (preferably not plasma) that may be suitable. Basically best possible picture with least possible heat!

TIA.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't switch (but I live in Ireland)...........can't say more than that really. :)

Edit. Possibly wait for OLED to come down in price.

My Kuro doesn't get hot as you describe. Is it still under warranty? Get it checked. I was impressed with the HX853 when I checked it out. Demo in a shop before purchase. I don't think you'll regret it.

I don't see any reason to not consider a plasma again. They don't normally get hot.

Buttmonki

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
What's your average room temperature? Ours is around 24-26 degrees celcius.

I checked with SSAV and they did say a plasma will run quite a bit warmer than an LED. The power consumption is around 3x that of the larger LED screeen so I guess that has to go somewhere.

Unfortunately I don't think the waranty is international so getting it repaired if there is a problem will probably mean taking it back to the UK in any case, I'm not even sure if there is a repair centre in Dubai. But it has been warm since it was delivered and seems to be working fine otherwise.

A friend has the 46" Sony and I looked at it today, we had it turned on for four hours and it was still cool to the touch!

I do love the KURO, it's such a hard decision to make!

A

Anonymous

Personally, I couldn't switch from plasma to LED.

I'd rather turn the aircon up and b ollox to the electric bills....:)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

My old Kuro used to run very hot, but it did save on the heating bills (seriously). My Panasonic doesn't run at nearly the same temperature, so a new plasma should be ok for you.

The new Samsung UE55F8000 has great reviews, but I also wouldn't change my plasma for a LED/LCD, but it could be worth checking out.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/ue55f8000

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue55f8000-201303212755.htm

Buttmonki

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
cloverleaf146 said:
Personally, I couldn't switch from plasma to LED.

I'd rather turn the aircon up and b ollox to the electric bills....:)

Our electricity plus water is circa £1250 a month in the summer!

I think I'm going to check out the Panasonic, are the new models as good / on a par with a Kuro?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
£1250 a month is savage - unless you are running a swimming pool and huge house etc all included in that.

My Kuro does run hot and it does warm the room to a certain degree - but not like a heater. It does get hot in the room in the summer but thats with all av kit running as a well power amp / processor etc thats on all the time the tv is on.

We pay about £1200 - £1400 a year and we are all electric - standard 3 bed terraced house.So you are potentially being screwed.... or maybe you need a more efficient aircon system

Buttmonki

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Are you in the UAE?

This includes water and we have a lawn which is expensive to water.

In the summer we have to run aircon all the time, 4 bed detached villa it's 45-50 degrees outside. £1k+ a month is pretty standard for detatched villas in Dubai from friends I have here.

Basically with the Kuro on I have to run the aircon Feb, Mar, Oct, Nov which I would normally avoid doing if I can. In the spring and autumn evenings you can normally sit with the doors open but as soon as I turn the TV on I have to close the doors and turn the air con on (it's how I know how hot it is getting!).

In the summer you can hear the aircon turn on and off with the thermostat but with the Kuro on the aircon fans are running almost continuously. I think my Kuro maybe runs warmer than it should because we keep our rooms at 24-26 degrees as we have dogs and if we go for 18-22 degrees (as many people do) the dogs get thicker fur and hate going outside even more! Also I hate aircon and 24 is not a terrible room temp.

Buttmonki

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Are you in the UAE?

This includes water and we have a lawn which is expensive to water.

In the summer we have to run aircon all the time, 4 bed detached villa it's 45-50 degrees outside. £1k+ a month is pretty standard for detatched villas in Dubai from friends I have here.

Basically with the Kuro on I have to run the aircon Feb, Mar, Oct, Nov which I would normally avoid doing if I can. In the spring and autumn evenings you can normally sit with the doors open but as soon as I turn the TV on I have to close the doors and turn the air con on (it's how I know how hot it is getting!).

In the summer you can hear the aircon turn on and off with the thermostat but with the Kuro on the aircon fans are running almost continuously. I think my Kuro maybe runs warmer than it should because we keep our rooms at 24-26 degrees as we have dogs and if we go for 18-22 degrees (as many people do) the dogs get thicker fur and hate going outside even more! Also I hate aircon and 24 is not a terrible room temp.

D

Deleted member 2457

Buttmonki said:
I have little interest in 3D and love my Pioneer Kuro set. However what I don't love is that it is like having a 50" heater in my living room. I live in Dubai and have to put the aircon on just to be able to watch the TV. It heats up the entire room and is costing a fortune! So I think I need to change it.

I am considering sending the Pioneer back to the UK (where people need heating, even at Easter!) to put in my house which I'm renting (lucky tenants) or selling it if taking it back is impractical. Then replacing it with a Sony KDL-55HX853, DH has his eye on the B&O Beovision 11-55 but we won't dwell on his fantasies.

Question is if I get rid of the Kuro and switch to an LED set am I going to regret it and wish I hadn't? As I said if it wasn't for the heat issue I'd be more than happy with the Pioneer.

Otherwise are there any other sets anyone can suggest (preferably not plasma) that may be suitable. Basically best possible picture with least possible heat!

TIA.

I reckon you might regret it. My Panasonic 50GT50 does not run hot. I have just touched the back and it is cool. Never felt any heat coming off it. I would look at the Panasonic plasma TVs, some good deals to be had at present too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts