Looking to invest in a pair of headphones, any advice

DrPips

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

The better half recently decorated the living room and decided my KEF speakers were no longer a part of her colour scheme, so they have retired to the spare room to await another day, and I bought a pair of monitor audio speakers, which are ok, but nowhere near as good as my old speakers. As a compromise, I'm going to buy a pair of headphones and as I've never really had 'proper' headphones before was looking for some advice.

My set up is NAD C350 amp and NAD CD player, which are both great. My main question is about wireless, as it would be useful if I could listen in other rooms and I have a very excitable dog, who might get taffled up in wires, but not sure whether this is possible or not (radio / infrared??) And also some good models, I know Sennheiser are very good. I would be looking to spend about £150

Thanks again,

Dom

A

Anonymous

You can go on forever trying this type and that type. Tried wireless, didn't like them, even expensive ones as they are a compromise, line of sight issues etc. Next tried some Goodmans NS1000 noise cancellers, not bad but broke after a couple of weeks, poorly made, Bose On Ear - not bad, comfy but pricey, AKG 45's from Superfi for £45 - good purchase but wife nicked them for her mp3 player, haven't seen em since.

Currently on Jays V Jays and whilst they look and feel like something from the inside of a christmas cracker they are suprisingly good, great bass, mega light to wear and have just gone down in price. My advice is don't bust your budget straight away. Jays are open back and leak a bit but not a lot and they do go loud. Got a major award from another mag by the way. I paid £30 for mine from Play.com

A

Anonymous

I would forget about the wireless since id you do you will get alot better sound. 2 headphones i would recomand near the price point are the sehniser hd 600 and the akg k701 wich would have the best sound near that price range. You should also have a look on the fourm www.head-fi.org which has a very helpful comunity

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The Grado SR125i comes in around your budget. Try to find somewhere local and have a listen to them.

I have the non 'i' version and although I'm not a hardcore cans user, I have no complaints with the sound when I do occasionally fire them up.

Just be aware they do leak a fair bit of sound, and the cable isn't very long, but Grado do a 4.5m extension for about £30.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts