Looking to buy budget second hand set up....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

First time poster, first time buyer of hi-fi equipment... and as first times go this one's a little pathetic and small scale!

I am looking to put together a cheap second hand system for my room, just an amp and speakers for playing music from both my laptop and mp3 player. I have been assuming (please correct me if I'm wrong!) that the easiest way to do this is via the 3.5mm jack output to left/right red/white input to the amp.

This will become my second system in a year or two when I next move house.

I listen to pretty much everything, rock, indie, jazz, blues, funk, reggae... but the scales probably tip in favour of guitar & trumpet music.

Room is 12'x15' approx and I can't set up to listen in the perfect position - probably about 2-3ft off centre...

I have been browsing these forums and elsewhere online for a couple of days, as well as ebay, trying to get some ideas behind me but now thought I'd ask you fine people for opinions and help...

There are so many older amps on ebay that I don't know where to start but going by what I've read on here a basic setup might look something like the below:

Amp

NAD 320 BEE

Speakers

Diamond 8.1 - Have found some that might not go for too much, bit older, any opinions?

or
Diamond 9.0 - Going for very little at Richer Sounds but worried they might lack oomph?

or
Diamond 9.1 - Considering spending £100 and getting some new/nearly new

My budget is £100-200.

All and any recommendations, help and abuse welcome!

Thanks!

Dan

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I would also be tempted to take a look at active pro monitors with that budget. You save money (and space) on boxes and you can buy new.

http://www.studiospares.com/bin/venda?ex=co_wizr-locayta&template=wz_locayta&pageno=1&perpage=20&collate=ivtype%3Acat%3Aprice%3Abrand&refine_sort_alph=&threshold=0&fieldrtype=type&termtextrtype=invt&typertype=exact&typekeywordsearch=keyword&termtextkeywordsearch=active+monitors&searchsubmit.x=0&searchsubmit.y=0

Just be careful as the prices are per speaker unless it says (pair).

If I were you I would find a local music shop (as opposed to Hi-Fi shop), and ask to listen to speakers at your budget.

If you don't like the presentation, you've lost nothing...

I had that NAD amp (or rather its smaller brother) and it was a fine amp. The Diamonds are nice little speakers too.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I got a pair of 9.1's and they're fantastic value at £100.

Creek 4330 is a good amp, might sneak within your budget if you're lucky enough to find one.

A

Anonymous

Thanks fr0g, I was speculating on a 320 BEE on ebay earlier that I won without expecting to so that kind of decided the route I'm going down for me! But thanks for the active advice...

Now just gotta decide on some speakers... 9.1s are looking increasingly likely...

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
For that budget, you could do a lot worse than a T-Amp and some Rega R1's.

There are plenty of T-Amps, about some better than others, I used an 'AMPtastic TA2020' which can be found on eBay, and is very good as long as you dont need high volumes. Only one input though, but if you are using a 3.5mm to phono cable, then thats ok.They go for around £60 new I think

The Rega R1's can be had for around £100, or if you require a deeper bass, and something larger, the Rega Jura go for around £150, and both are very very good value now!

You might want to look at a seperate DAC at some point as well, might improve the sound a lot as the standard output from laptops/mp3 players through the 3.5mm jack is not always that great.

A

Anonymous

I am selling a second hand set up:

-Arcam alpha 6 amp £45

- Marantz CD £50

- Sony tape deck model tck411 £10

- Kef floor q30 speakers £50

Do you think these are reasonably priced??

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts