Pro-ject Genie mk.III turntable.

Pro-ject Dock Box S fi.

Apple ipod Classic.

Rega Apollo R CD player.

Rega Brio R Amp.

Q Acoustics 1050i floorstanders.

Audioquest Evergreen interconnects.

Fatman speaker cable.

The equipment is sat on granite plinths with halved squash balls under the plinths, and is at the moment sat on a dresser top which I am aware is not at all ideal( I am looking to buy an isolation shelf for the turntable ,CD player and Dock.) was looking to getting a mains conditioner and new power cables for amp and CD player , as well as some speaker cable. Any ideas at all from you guys would be of great help to me. Many thanks in advance.

matthewpiano

You don't say anything about whether you are enjoying the sound...

If you are then:

Relax and enjoy the music.

Seriously, don't get too caught up in the continuous search for that little bit of extra performance.

I've experimented with upgraded power cables recently having previously been sceptical. I've found they do seem to make some difference (which I still don't understand) but not always for the better. I've gone back to standard manufacturer's power cables on my system.

Ultimately it is all just a distraction from the music. You have a perfectly capable budget system. Concentrate on getting the best out of it by playing all the music you love on it.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
By far the best value for money comes from speaker upgrades -- and positioning the speakers properly, which can be done for free. This is what I'd focus on.

In all likelihood cables and mains conditioners will make no difference to your system.

Matthew is right, of course: no reason to change anything if you like the sound you're getting.

And you can ignore Chris (Covenanter): he's being facetious.

Matt

Wolfe

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, sorry you are right, I have been into hifi since the mid 70s and have had quite a few systems over the years, I love the sound of this system, because no matter what source it is very musical, and at the end of the day that is what I buy hifi equipment for, I am also a guitarist, but have been out of the hifi loop for a few years, but in summary I really like the sound I am getting. Was thinking of upgrading the cables to rega and changing the cartridge to a ortofon blue2m, and of course full squash balls. Thanks..

matt49 is quite right. If you are happy with your speakers and their positioning then your biggest benefit will come from upgrading the other end of your system i.e. the source.

Buy a better cartridge.

Leave the power cables here for others to debate. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts