Looking for speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone!

This is my first post, so be gentle please.
emotion-2.gif

I've sold my b&w dm603s2 and Arcam a75 amp, and am now looking to partner my Arcam cd72, and Quad 33/303 combo.

Any idea's for a nice pair of speakers (would like bookshelf or stand mounts ideally) to suit?

Not sure if I want to go retro (rogers ls5/3a, or Quad esl57) or modern.

Your thoughts are most welcome. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Years ago I had a 33/303 paired up with Roger LS7 speakers.

It was the best musical system I have ever had. I wish I still had it.
I would be surprised if you will get MORE natural sounding speakers than these today.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
brockie1977:Not sure if I want to go retro (rogers ls5/3a, or Quad esl57) or modern.

If you hanker after the ESLs, I'm not sure anything else will come close for transparancy, although a lot of speakers will be able to offer better weight of sound.

Maybe the ESLs with a fast sub?

John Duncan

You could go retro-modern with a Spendor S3/5R.........though plenty of other standmounts fit the bill, PMC DB1i being my particular fave.

If I was looking at electrostatics though, I'd be after a pair of Martin Logans, some of which have an additional bass driver to address the 'weight' issue (and the lower models aren't horrendously expensive).

A

Anonymous

Well I'd suggest Epos M5i or.. wait for it. Totem Rainmaker. The rainmaker if you want to chunk up the sound from your standmounters, the M5i for pure clarity and voice.

A

Anonymous

Wow, plenty there to think about.

Budget wise I don't really have one! This is very much a project in work.

I'll be adding a Rega P3 to this set, but I feel the speakers will dictate my cd upgrade.

If I go retro speakers, I'll want a retro cd player next (not to sure if I want to go backwards cd wise) but if I go modern,

the worlds my oyster!

While I'm typing this my attitude is swaying modern, just thinking of modern technology being brought together with my 33/303.
emotion-55.gif

Oh the pains of hifi.
emotion-2.gif

At least I can demo new technology I suppose. HELP!

A

Anonymous

Well the Quad amp and preamp are fantastic so I would keep those. The best thing you can do there, if you haven't already, is get them serviced by Quad. Alternatively you could look to getting them upgraded by Netaudio or the like.

A

Anonymous

All over that already igglebert. Looking at upgrading the 33/303 with Net audio.
emotion-4.gif

Exciting times for me, can't wait.

A

Anonymous

Very nice. I'm going to get my Quad gutted by them next year to the 405 MK3 Netaudio package. To be fair there'll be nothing left of the original Quad except the case (and the design concept), but hey, for the money is has to be done! Then to add a valve preamp. Have you tried the 33 pre on anything else? What's it like?

I'd really like to hear how you get on. (And don't forget, Spendor...)

T

the record spot

brockie1977:

Any idea's for a nice pair of speakers (would like bookshelf or stand mounts ideally) to suit?<

Some that spring to mind - AVI Neutron IV if space is limited, Quadral Pico for the same reasons.

Older, B&W CDM1, Mission 751 if you like clean and bright sounding music with some grunt.

Current - Revolver RW16s get a good write up as do the (albeit floorstanding) RW45s. Acoustic Energy AE22 (I think they are) - looks like a pair of studio monitors, but sounds super according to the recent WHF review.

A

Anonymous

Haven't tried the 33 on anything yet!

Got the 303 when I had the A75 & DM603 s2, but didn't get the 33 till they went.

I'm moving house in 2 weeks so everything is boxed, ready for set up at the new house.(minus speakers)

I'm thinking of sending it straight to Net audio now, but I want to hear the difference.

Don't worry I'll let you know.

Spendor? Why? I see you have a pair, Do you rate them that highly? I know they made the old ls5/3a. What model are you thinking?

A

Anonymous

Good luck with the move.

I think Spendor speakers have a superb balance and naturalness about them. Qualities that I think will suit the Quad nicely. It all depends on the sound you want but if you've bought the 303 then I imagine you know what it's like. Get it upgraded and try it with some SA1s. You'll fall in love :)

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Good luck with the move.

I think Spendor speakers have a superb balance and naturalness about them. Qualities that I think will suit the Quad nicely. It all depends on the sound you want but if you've bought the 303 then I imagine you know what it's like. Get it upgraded and try it with some SA1s. You'll fall in love :)
I have to admit the spendors are way up the list for monitors. My only caveat would be the lack of bass. If your taste in music is incompatible with light-on-the-lowend speakers I think Spendor is right out.

A

Anonymous

raypalmer:igglebert:Good luck with the move.

I have to admit the spendors are way up the list for monitors. My only caveat would be the lack of bass. If your taste in music is incompatible with light-on-the-lowend speakers I think Spendor is right out.

Hmmmm, I do like a rich bass. I'll demo them and see.

Knowing my luck I'll spend all day listening to various bookselfs and end up falling in love with a pair of floor standers!

Thanks for all the advise people, do keep it coming, and I'll let you know the outcome.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
if you like a bit of bass, maybe you should try dynaudio focus 110? tremendous bass for their size. they look lovely too. they aren't an easy speaker to drive though, being 85db and 4ohm, so don't have any idea if they would work well with the quad. pmc db1i's have a fair bit of bass output too, i chose my focus' over the pmc because there just seemed a bit more rythmic snap to them, the pmc's had more detail.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts