Looking for some advice regarding DAC/CD player in my current set up

ashleykr145

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to these forums and am looking for some advice about a couple of upgrades.

I prodominantly listen to vinyl via my Project Debut III turntable which has a 2 line out cable built in which is connected to my Goldring phonoamp, is it a worthy investment to upgrade my interconnect from the phonoamp to my amplifier, I currently have a bog standard cable and have been looking at the Atlas element integra?

Now on to my main topic of confusion, I am looking for an alternative source to vinyl for when I am entertaining and just want to whack on a playlist or pop in a CD (which I do have all stored digitally). I am unsure whether to invest in a CD player or a DAC, I have been looking at the Marantz CD6004 as it has a DAC built in and a USB connection which I could use my Macbook or iPhone/iPod on. The second alternative is a DAC (I'd then potentially invest in a CD player at a later date when it is more financially viable for me as I'm currently a postgrad student!) I've been looking at the two winners in the most recent issue of the magazine the Arcam rDAC or the HRT microstreamer, which could also double up as my laptop DAC when at university for a headphone set up. In terms of use the HRT's portability would suit me however I don't want the sound to suffer too much on my HiFi as I'd have to connect it via the headphone out to my amplifier.

I currently have an NAD C320BEE amp and KEF Q series floorstanders which produces a good sound that I am happy with currently, I'll be looking to upgrade in the next few years. My budget is £300 tops (excluding the interconnect cable, that's a different query). Most of my digital music is high grade MP3s (80%) sampled at 44.1 k with a bit rate of 320 kbps and 20% WAV files.

Thanks for your help in advance

Ashley

Hi Ashley and welcome.

Some of the little headphone-type DACs, like the Microstreamer you mention, the AQ Dragonfly, and the Meridian Explorer, will also work via an interconnect into your amp. You just need a 3.5mm stereo to 2 x RCA phono lead. As you are a student, the versatilty of these DACs might be more value to you than a CDP for £250-ish, like the Marantz.

All CD Players include a DAC, not just the Marantz. That's how they put out analogue signals to an amplifier. Only on recently designed ones can you access the DAC for other uses, however, like inserting an iPod. You've really got to assess how much use you'll get from CDP v DAC. I've a hunch that the DAC you can use with phones on the move, and also connect directly to your system, might suit you better. Do double-check if you want to connect your MacBook into the CD6004 as I'm not sure all USB inputs are created equally, and I think it is only OK for iPods.

You don't mention what pickup cartridge you have in your TT, but an upgraded cable might be rather a luxury unless you play lots of records. It will slightly alter the sound, hopefully reveal a bit more detail too, but the money might be better put towards a better cartridge. Try to borrow one from a dealer, or buy from somewhere that lets you try for 30 or 60 days - many do.

Lastly, 320 kbps is OK, but you might find it worthwhile ripping to ALAC or WAV as you will notice the difference if you go the DAC route. Definitely try a few 24/96 files to check out the potential.

All the best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts