Looking for shallow amplifier

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking for a simple amplifier with good sound quality which is 25 cm deep or less. The width and height is not really important. Only needs to be simple, but powerful enough to drive a pair of mid-range floorstanding speakers. Can anyone suggest and brands or models to look at? Ive seen the project amp box amplifiers, but am concerned they may not be powerful enough.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

A

Anonymous

How about a used Quad 405 (19.5cm deep) from ebay (£100 - £150) with a small preamp like a Creek OBH-12. Just an idea. The Russ Andrews PA1 is 29cm deep, a possible?

John Duncan

Ah, a man after my own heart, though at least I had 30cm to play with. I think that you'll be very lucky to find a powerful amp that size, though there are things like the old Creek 4040 and the Fatman iTube range of amps (though valves may not work for you). Remember that dimensions almost certainly won't include the speaker terminals at the back (and certainly won't include the extra depth required for banana plugs and cable), so you probably have even less to play with than 25cm.

Sadly, things like the Creek Classic and Primare A20 are just a bit too deep.

A

Anonymous

I should add that the Quad 405 can be simply or heavily upgraded for between £100 an £400 too making it quite a capable beast. The 19.5cm depth should help accommodate connector space at the rear (although there's a small overhang in that dimension to help here too). If the amp has been sent to Quad for a service then it'll have standard banana plug terminals, else it'll have spring clips for bear wires.

A

Anonymous

Cyrus kit might be what your after. They are generally long and thin, so you could mount it sideways. The 6v2, looking at their website is 210mm wide and 360mm deep. Anyone here would vouch for the quality of cyrus kit.

The question is, is it at all convenient to mount your kit sideways - they do have a remote so you'd have to account for that.

A

Anonymous

Mr_Poletski:...they do have a remote so you'd have to account for that.
...a mirror!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
They Cyrus kit is damn fine and...

The remotes work even round a bend; i should know as i manage to use my GF's hifi system when im in the kitchen at hers and her hifi is in the dining room :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts