looking for second hand hifi amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi all, i am looking for a outstanding second hand hifi amplifier. i have the chance to buy a marantz pm 66 special edition ki signature for 80 to 100 pounds. but im not sure about any other amplifiers. i want something that will blow my mind. my budget is up to 300 and needs to have a phono input as i plan on buying a rega rp1 for my birthday. people tell me i have a good av amp ( see bio ) b ut i think a dedicated hifi amp will be better

thanks people

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi Mark, If you plan on using it in a 4X5m room, the 66KI Sig should do fine. Unlikely you'll find better for the money at 50W, and a good all round performer. To be perfectly honest the Sony player you are using probably won't be pushing it to the limits of it's capabilities. The phono input is above average spec, so you'll be ok on that also.

T

the record spot

If you really do mean 'blow your mind' then up your budget by £100 or so as there aren't many amps under that price that will. If pushed, then the Sansui AU-217 is as good a buy as you'll get. Expect to pay up to £50 and you may be really quite impressed. Get mine and you'll find it blows the rest away easily. Expect to pay around £200. On release the 717 was £400 back in 1977, so it'll take something over £1000 to beat it. I've heard a few and the Sansui can take 'em on. They don't come up often but when they do they go quickly. Oh and it will blow your mind!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Equipment as old as that described above (from the 1970s and 1980s) might also blow a few capacitors and fuses too! (And could blow a hole in your wallet with costly repairs.)

20, 30 and 40 year-old equipment should be professionally serviced (ideally before you buy it and with an itemised receipt to prove it included in the sale).

With £100 I would recommend looking at Technics or Yamaha amps from a much more recent viintage like the mid 1990s - 2000s. Hold out for one that is evidently in good cosmetic condition where the owner has kept the original packaging & documents & a working remote control too. (It at least shows they look after their gear.)

T

the record spot

chebby:
Equipment as old as that described above (from the 1970s and 1980s) might also blow a few capacitors and fuses too! (And could blow a hole in your wallet with costly repairs.)

20, 30 and 40 year-old equipment should be professionally serviced (ideally before you buy it and with an itemised receipt to prove it included in the sale).

With £100 I would recommend looking at Technics or Yamaha amps from a much more recent viintage like the mid 1990s - 2000s. Hold out for one that is evidently in good cosmetic condition where the owner has kept the original packaging & documents & a working remote control too. (It at least shows they look after their gear.)

Good point - that's the caveat. Once done (as I did with the 717) it'll be good for another few years. Like any older item, you just need to keep an eye on it from time to time. Needn't be a biggie and sometimes you'll get an old bit of gear that's been serviced already (as my 217 was). So it's job done. Allow - for something like the 717 amp, which is a hefty dual mono integrated - around £100 for the work, parts and labour all in.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Record Spot there was a Sansui AU-317Mk2 on ebay today in Australia that ended with no bidders, I was very close to jumping on it, should have I? Would they run a pair of Dynaudio X-12's? I wonder if they will re-list.

A

Anonymous

my budget is £300 not £100 thats how much the marantz is going for thanks

A

Anonymous

No they didn't:

"hi all, i am looking for a outstanding second hand hifi amplifier. i have the chance to buy a marantz pm 66 special edition ki signature for 80 to 100 pounds. but im not sure about any other amplifiers. i want something that will blow my mind. my budget is up to 300 and needs to have a phono input"

Aah, you've edited your post, Chebby, the one with the bit about the £ signs, so mine is no longer relevant.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash:Aah, you've edited your post, Chebby, the one with the bit about the £ signs, so mine is no longer relevant.

I reserve the right to correct myself when I have written something in error.

Back to the subject in hand...

£300 may get you a Denon PMA-1500R.

That should 'blow your mind' as requested.

[Edit. Bingo! Here is a nice looking one. Don't worry about the thing about input selection on the remote in the description. That is a Denon 'quirk' and not a fault. (The remote has sections to control different sources - only so long as they are Denon!)

Seems it also has MC/MM phono input (useful for future cartridge upgrades.) £280 'Buy it now'.

(I have nothing to do with this item or it's seller.)

A

Anonymous

chebby:
Grottyash:Aah, you've edited your post, Chebby, the one with the bit about the £ signs, so mine is no longer relevant.

I reserve the right to correct myself when I have written something in error.Of course, but it made my reply look pretty stupid - and I reserve the right to do that myself !

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Grottyash:chebby:

I reserve the right to correct myself when I have written something in error.Of course, but it made my reply look pretty stupid - and I reserve the right to do that myself
emotion-2.gif
!

the guys tryna help you out, go and buy a **** on your own.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
If you're planning to get an Rega RP1 turntable, it's worth considering a Rega Brio 3. They're only around £240 new at the moment and match very well with the RP1. Second-hand you should be able to pick up a mint condition version for well under £200.

T

the record spot

mission mark:my budget is £300 not £100 thats how much the marantz is going for thanks

Depends on the sound you're after. Plenty of good secondhand amps out there, but what some offer against what you want might not be a match made in heaven. The Marantz would be good, but given as you can buy a fully specced out Yamaha RX-V667 which gets a terrific write-up for music as movies, has assignable power amps onboard delivering 180wpc in a high current design, as well as delivering HD Audio capability for less than £300 in Richer Sounds (£280 for the silver version, £299 the black) it'd be worth bearing some new options in mind. Also, £300 gets you up to Arcam 10 territory...around a decade old but still a decent performer.

A

Anonymous

im looking for nice warm clear detail, not too much bass. i might have to audition it
emotion-2.gif

what is the hd audio capability ?

thanks

A

Anonymous

simon3102000:Grottyash:chebby:

I reserve the right to correct myself when I have written something in error.Of course, but it made my reply look pretty stupid - and I reserve the right to do that myself !

the guys tryna help you out, go and buy a **** on your own.
Could you put that into English, please? If you don't have a firm grip on the language, Google translate may be able to help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts