Looking for forgotten music . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Having a rummage through Spotify 'as one does' . . . looking for unusual or forgotten music. I came across '10 Ways of Cannon' . . . 10 version of the superb 'Pachellbel Cannon in D', adding value, there are also 4 more tracks of popular classic tunes.

Pachellbell's Cannon is a superb relaxing piece at any time, but here is presented music for all moods, from piano solo, through guitar, to a very unusual Star Trek mix. Personally if I ever come across the LP, I will buy it, however as a 'Spotify dip in', it is worth a listen IMHO, see what you think.

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I probably liked it once-upon-a-time. However, it's become ubiqitous at weddings, as helpdesk 'hold' music, 'Muzak' in lobbies and on "The Only Chill-Out classical CD You'll Ever Need" / "Now That's what I call Comatose" type compilations.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
I probably liked it once-upon-a-time. However, it's become ubiqitous at weddings, as helpdesk 'hold' music, 'Muzak' in lobbies and on "The Only Chill-Out classical CD You'll Ever Need" / "Now That's what I call Comatose" type compilations.

The difference Chebby, at least one can turn it off . . . and on Spotify, you dont have to buy, there are 10 different versions to choose from, I have never heard the 'Star Trek' rendition, sounds like it would sound good on a system with well extended base?

Every so often not every day? . . . Good music can’t be heard too often IMHO.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Bit more digging into Spotify, come up with; Conway Twitty - 'The Essential Recordings' . . . very 50's and 60's rock and roll, in the style of Elvis . . . give it a listen?

Also, Susan Vega - 'Close Up, vol. 4' . . . Very much a forgoten artist from my 80's experiance . . . she has been put on my 'play list'!

CJSF

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Great singer, Susan Vega. If you get chance to listen to the full acapella version of Tom's Diner, then do so. It's great. I'm just trying to think of a modern pop artist who could sing that song and make it sound as good she she did. Nope, I've failed.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Great singer, Susan Vega. If you get chance to listen to the full acapella version of Tom's Diner, then do so. It's great. I'm just trying to think of a modern pop artist who could sing that song and make it sound as good she she did. Nope, I've failed.

Yes MajorFubar . . . as I said, Susan Vega is an artist I had forgotten from my 80's experience . . . I am sure I have the original vinyl with 'Toms Diner' in my collection? I will have a rummage through the shelves. Do I remember there was an accompanied version on the album as well, a long time ago??

CJSF

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Solitude Standing by Suzanne Vega... a classic album... used to have it on vynal. Got it on CD, but doesn't sound as good as the old LP on my Linn deck.

Mac

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Spotify, £10 a month for all this, and you get it on your phone. iPod? Pfft. It's genius it is. I tell ya.

Agreed - but I find last.fm even better for discovering new stuff. The SQ is not as good, obviously, but I find it a better way of linking into stuff you might like cos you listened to something else.

Algorithms or something like that I guess it is. You should try it out!

SteveR750

omnibeard said:
SteveR750 said:
Spotify, £10 a month for all this, and you get it on your phone. iPod? Pfft. It's genius it is. I tell ya.

Agreed - but I find last.fm even better for discovering new stuff. The SQ is not as good, obviously, but I find it a better way of linking into stuff you might like cos you listened to something else.

Algorithms or something like that I guess it is. You should try it out!

Is this what you get when you press "radio" on the mobile app? I use that a lot too but only on my phone

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:

I get excelent SQ on the £5 per month service. I dont need all the knobs and whistles and aps that you get for £10. No need for ipods and the like.

My phone comes out of the ark, I just renewed my contract, £10.50pm, 300 free any time minutes pm, unlimited text . . . ??? texts, what are they? Oh yes, I bought a new battery for it the other day as well, £9.99 . . . sad aint I:?

CJSF

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
I get excelent SQ on the £5 per month service. I dont need all the knobs and whistles and aps that you get for £10. No need for ipods and the like.

CJSF

Not aware of the knobs/bells and whistles - I just pay to not get the adverts.

CJSF - how much are you loving your Croft amp? It was the main reason I bought my Monopulse speakers, having listened to them at a friend's house on the end of (probably/possibly) the same amp. Will def buy some Croft stuff at some point. Love that homemade British stuff - same reason I bought my Beresford DAC. Which I love.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
omnibeard said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

Not aware of the knobs/bells and whistles - I just pay to not get the adverts.

CJSF - how much are you loving your Croft amp? It was the main reason I bought my Monopulse speakers, having listened to them at a friend's house on the end of (probably/possibly) the same amp. Will def buy some Croft stuff at some point. Love that homemade British stuff - same reason I bought my Beresford DAC. Which I love.

Hi Omnibeard, knobs and whistles; are all the various things that can be done like use on iphone, various aps etc. The £5 unlimited version just plays music with no ads, they say the bit rate is less . . . ? I get excellent sound quality IMHO.

My limited, basic system has been built around my Croft amp, I have built the system with Croft as its heart, cables are low cost, TT set up is tuned to my ear, new bearing and sub platter and I use an expensive cartridge, all a no,no if you read the threads?? Every change I have made, the Croft has stepped up to the plate and given a perfect insight into what was happening with that change, good and bad.

So yes, I love my croft, it is the best of both worlds as a hybrid, delicate signal handling on the valve based line in/phono side and the grunt of mosfets on the power side. Glen has so many years of personal hands on developments, he is passionate about music and hifi. This passion and years of knowhow is evident as one sits and listens. I have no desire to change anything in my system, I am very content with my simple system, cheap cables and low cost TT. The expensive bits, speakers and cartridge fit in perfectly. 'The sum of the parts exceed the whole' as they say . . . ;)

I am totally unaware of a system signature, which means, what I hear is what is recorded. Now, whether that is in truth true, matters not? The integration of the parts means I just dont hear it, which does matter to me.

"I have a valve based system which does not sound like a valve system . . . "

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts