Looking for Best amplifier to drive B&W 685 another one to drive Monitoraudio RX6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My brother who lives outside the Uk asked me to get him a pair of B&W 685 Speakers, can anyone recommend an amplifier below 500 GBP, What Hifi are recommending the NAD C326BEE, would anyone confirm this knowing that the Nad has a 50W output and everybody knows that B&W speakers are power hungry. please note that JAZZ is his favourtie genre of music.( please feel free to suggest other type of speakers& amplifiction in the same price range)

on the other hand I am buying myself a pair of MAudio RX6 and still did not decide on the amplifier max budget 1500GBP, I would be listening to Jazz most of the time and I would like to avoid bright/metallic sound. Unfortunatelly short listening sessions in showrooms did not really help. Please feel free to recommend a different combination of speakers and amplifier for 2500GBP Max.

matthewpiano

I've heard the 685s with a NAD C325BEE and it was an awesome combination. I don't think your brother can go wrong with the C326BEE.

As for your amp, why not audition the C375BEE. I reckon it might be a perfect match for the MAs.

A

Anonymous

This is a good start , thank you, however do you believe that the NAD has enough power to go loud? since we agreed that sound quality is very good,

matthewpiano

NAD amps are always far more powerful than their ratings suggest and can drive far trickier loads than most competitor's amps at the same price. The C325BEE had absolutely no problem driving the 685s at all sorts of volume levels. Of course, with up to £500 you should really consider the C355BEE as well, which would add more power to the mix but retain the trademark NAD musicality.

A

Anonymous

Still waiting for other recommendations,

I have noticed that in MonitorAudio Brochures and website they are using the ARCAM range of CD players and amps notably the FMJ A38, I was wondering if they did that for pure "asthetical" reasons or they really did it on purpouse to indicate a good combination....

Don Jr

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
NAD and B&W are a perfect match for me. I used that combo for 12 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm using B&W CM7's with a 90 watt push-pull tube amp and I'm very happy. Actually, I could not be happier. I would imagine a 55w tube amp would take a pretty good grip on those speakers. What's the sensitivity of those speakers? This would be the way to go for a jazz lover, if he likes more of a live performance perspective.

A

Anonymous

with that budget id be looking at the naim XS coupled with the totem arro loudspeakers or if you want a warmer sound the audio analogue puccini settanta with the totems or paradigm speakers if you can get them

the other options are unison research amps and sonus faber speakers which traditionally go extremely well with jazz but i havent heard the new sonus faber liuto speakers which are just within your budget

if you want a less expensive system try the naim 5i with the totem arros or dreamcatchers which are a bit of a bargain at the moment

for your brother the nad and the 685s should be fine though id still think the dreamcatchers may be better suited but ive not heard them in combination with nad

A

Anonymous

Thx for the advice , a lot of people speak highly of Totem I will try to find a delar in London , if you know one please let me know,

it would also be interesting to hear from someone who owns Monitor Audio RX6, otherwise we won't be able to compare an apple with an apple, if Totem are great that doesn't mean they are better than the RX6, (maybe they are) but only a person who listened to both sets of speakers can help us here.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Sensitivity is 90

Format:
2 1/2 Way

Frequency Response:
38Hz - 35kHz

Sensitivity (1W@1M):
90dB

Nominal Impedance:
6 Ohms

Maximum SPL (dBA):

Power Handling (RMS):
125W

Recommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS):
40-125W

Bass Alignment:
Dual Chamber, Bass reflex with differential tuning.
Twin HiVe©II port System

Tweeter Crossover Frequency:
LF: 700Hz
MF/HF: 2.7kHz

Drive Unit Complement:
1 x 6" RST© Bass driver.
1 x 6" RST© Bass/Mid driver.
1 x 1" (25mm) C-CAM© gold dome tweeter

External Dimensions:
(H x W x D)
inc. plinth & feet
905 x 275 x 310 mm
(37 5/8 x 10 13/16 x 12 3/16 inch)

Individual Weight:
16.4 Kg (36.13 lb)

A

Anonymous

these people in wimbledon apparently stock the entire totem range

http://www.obrienhifi.com/www.obrienhifi.com/Home.html

one off:

these people in wimbledon apparently stock the entire totem range

http://www.obrienhifi.com/www.obrienhifi.com/Home.html

The apparently word is so apt when discussing O'Briens. They also claim to stock Exposure (very debatable) and didn't.

However, Roksan is a good match for B&W, Arcam great match for MA's.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

The apparently word is so apt when discussing O'Briens. They also claim to stock Exposure (very debatable) and didn't.

However, Roksan is a good match for B&W, Arcam great match for MA's.worth ringing them before then

dont think youll find many who have compared the mas and the totems by the way as their sound is very different so if you like fast pacy invigorating youd go for ma but if you wanted something altogether more subtle it would be totem

one off:plastic penguin:

However, Roksan is a good match for B&W, Arcam great match for MA's.worth ringing them before then

dont think youll find many who have compared the mas and the totems by the way as their sound is very different so if you like fast pacy invigorating youd go for ma but if you wanted something altogether more subtle it would be totem

Absolutely, I agree totally one off. When I was looking for a new CDP 3 years ago, I hankered after Exposure 2010S, O'Briens listed them as a dealership for the brand. Called them and they said they had non in stock and wasn't sure when their stocks would replenished. I found that to be rather odd.

Subsequently called Exposure and asked whether they would be sending any stocks to Wimbledon. They replied by saying O'Brien Hi-fi hasn't ordered any of their products for some considerable time, although they conceded they were listed. Anyway, I asked whether I could buy direct and they said, although not the normal procedure, yes they would sell direct. However, the price was full RRP.

A

Anonymous

I'm thinking of getting some 685s but I already have a CA 650A. any ideas on how this would match the 685s, its got an out put of 75W but is quite bright.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Quad 11L seriously, need a very careful matching! It will need a lot of power and postion them closer to the wall than recomendation. I thing they do look excellent but soundwise, you can buy better unless you are using them in 99 & 909 system.

manicm

I have the 685s and they're not bright at all - they may well be a good match for your CA 650 amp.

But also try the Monitor Audio RX1 (they appear less bright than the RS1), and the Rega RS1.

Take a weekend off and make your dealer work for the your money :)

matthewpiano

Hmmmm... I suspect the 685s might be a better match than the Quads actually.

The Quads can sound stunning with the 650A but the more I listen to them together the more the brightness becomes an issue on certain tracks. In fact, the more it has run in the more the 650A sounds quite bright. Its a superb amp in so many ways but careful matching is needed - more so than with the old 640A V2. I'm still working on getting that matching exactly right.

I still believe the best amp for 685s is a NAD.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
even brighter than the 640[:/]..reminds me of the S30 speakers that made me so tired listening do them , that I could not tolerate music from speakers for about a week..

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Over many years of dealing with B&W, I've never really felt that anything matched them quite like Rotel. The Rotel's were the only amps to ever keep the B&W's bass in check (without going high end), and the only budget amplifiers that were/are able to give them the kick they need, giving them punch rather than thud and rumble. I know some will say they're not the best match tonally, but I'd rather put up with a little brightness when you can actually hear and feel the beat through the bassline.

A

Anonymous

I've heard quite a few times that these speakers are quite 'power hungry' does that mean that they'll only sound their best at higher volumes? Giving my neighbours some consideration that might not be possible all the time. The 650A has 75W per channel, should be enough?

TRENDING THREADS