Looking for advice on first decent 5.1 audio set

Glenn_NL

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm currently thinking about buying myself a new 5.1 surround system to accompany my new HD-TV. My only experience with these systems is a pc speakerset, the Logitech Z-5500. I have been all over these forums, as well as a few others, but currently find myself all over the place when it comes to options. I sincerely hope you could give me some advice to narrow down my unexperienced search.

To give you guys an impression of the options that have crossed my mind:

- Bose lifestyle v25 (found multiple whathifi members to find this system too expensive for the quality you get, so this is out of the picture)

- Cambridge audio s325 with a decent receiver, for example the Sony STR-DN840 (not sure if this is compatible with the cambridge speakerset).

- Harman Kardon BDS 477 (5.1 version would be too big for the wife, 2.1 is not really an option for me...)

As you can see my budget is all over the place as well. Currently I hope it can be done for about €1.000 - €1.500.

Summary/wishes:

- decent 5.1 speakerset, really like the look of the cambridge s325 due to its small size (cant be much bigger or the wife wont agree to it).

- 5.1 receiver with min. 4 hdmi and multiple coaxial and optical connections. Also I would like options like airplay and bluetooth.

- I am a movie enthousiast who listens to music only once in a while.

- the audio setup will be for my living room, which size is approx. 30-40 m2.

- I stream all my movies to my television, so I don't need a blu-ray player.

Could you guys tell me if the Cambridge audio set i have found would be suitable? Also I hope you could advice me on possibities for a receiver. Other options for speakersets are very welcome as well.

Thank you for all your efforts in advance,

Glenn

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
If you like the look of the Cambridge audio s325's due to their size then you really should also consider the Monitor Audio MASS system, a 5.1 speaker system with small satellite speakers that's around the same price as the Cambridge Audio set and is very highly rated.

There's then a good range of AV receivers around the £500 mark from Sony, Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer that would all be worth looking at (your slightly spoilt for choice for good AV receivers at that price range).

Glenn_NL

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your advice mr Malarky!

I took a look at the Monitor Audio MASS System you pointed out and i'm very impressed by all the good reviews. Sadly enough the speakers are too large for my wife, I have to make consessions to get myself a 5.1 system instead of a 2.1 system.

Will the Cambridge Audio system, which satellites are only 15,6 cm high, really perform much worse then the MASS system you think?

Also, do you or anyone else know whether I can hook up the Cambridge system to a Sony receiver (like the one I mentoined)? I've read some stuff about the subwoofer beeing connected via a line in, but I cant find out wether that is a problem for the sony receiver.

Thank you once again for your effort,

Glenn

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Glenn ,

i have just recently bought a Pionerr 922 for 240 and a KEF 5.1 speaker package 2005 for 500 , all last years models at not quite 1/2 price , slots in around other gear and i couldn't be happier for 750 quid

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Glenn_NL said:
Thanks for your advice mr Malarky!

I took a look at the Monitor Audio MASS System you pointed out and i'm very impressed by all the good reviews. Sadly enough the speakers are too large for my wife, I have to make consessions to get myself a 5.1 system instead of a 2.1 system.

Will the Cambridge Audio system, which satellites are only 15,6 cm high, really perform much worse then the MASS system you think?

Also, do you or anyone else know whether I can hook up the Cambridge system to a Sony receiver (like the one I mentoined)? I've read some stuff about the subwoofer beeing connected via a line in, but I cant find out wether that is a problem for the sony receiver.

Thank you once again for your effort,

Glenn

Hi Glen, the Cambridge audios will connect to that Sony amp just fine.

The 5 satellite speakers will connect via normal speaker cable, the sub will connect via a single phono cable (the 'line in' you mentioned). It's a different connection got the sub because the sub will have its own internal amplifier, so while the other 5 speakers are being powered (or 'driven') by the amplifiers in the receiver, the receiver just sends a line-level signal to the subwoofer which then powers ('drives') the speaker from its own internal amp.

This is standard for a home cinema set-up and nothing to worry about, just make sure you remember to buy a long enough phono lead to connect the sub based on where you want to place it in the room (if there's not one already included in the box with the sub-woofer).

TRENDING THREADS