looking for a suitable amplifier upgrade

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Been upgrading my system and now looking at amplifier.

Source is an Arcam 1 cd player through a Rega DAC.

Speakers are Dali Lektor 2.

At present I have a Rotel 931 .

Looking at around £300 - £400 mark. The Rotel RA-04SE being the most obvious and a safe choice. Can go a higher price if a demo shows it to be worthwhile.

Looking to buy new or used. I would like to hear a few different makes before making a choice. Only familiar with Rotel and Arcam amps and found the Arcam although it had many good points I never really took to the overall presentation. I like a wide range of music folk,acoustic, Rock, Pop from 60's to 80's mostly and a bit of classical as well.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

What do you feel that your amp is missing generally?

Which Arcam amps did you listen to?

There's a massive range of new & 2nd hand amps out there to be hand in your budget range; some for less and some for maybe a little more as well so the world may be your oyster
emotion-5.gif

The Rotel RA04SE is a great amp but can be bettered by 2nd hand amps

The likes of the Roksan Kandy LIII, Arcam Alpha 10, NAD C352 or C355BEE integrated, Musical Fidelity XA100 or XA200, NAD C370

There are some Rotel RA1520's on eBay currently so may be worth looking at those too; superb amp and would drive your Dali's well
emotion-1.gif

The Creek Evo II amp would work as well but I have only heard that amp with the Dali's from a distance

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
The Rorel was a low budget amplifier. It was good for its price and the budget I had at the time. The limitations have been exposed due to listening through the arcam amp 5. Hard to put into words what i am looking for. More weight, clarity and detail and a greater openess of the sound.

The arcam 5 in not a bad amp but for me just seemed to be unengauging and lacking an bit of sparkle.

Hope this makes some sense. Had to put into words what you hear with your ears.

Quite a good choice out there.

A

Anonymous

Well with your budget I'd defintely look at the amps mentioned above; the NAD C352, Arcam Alpha 10 and MF XA100 / XA200 amps are superb and will work superbly with the Dali speakers

If you want new then I'd consider the Rotel RA04SE, the Yamaha AS500 and the NAD C326BEE integrated amps

matthewpiano

Don't forget the Marantz PM6003. Better than the NAD or the Rotel IMO - punchy and involving but plenty of detail and more finesse than the other two amps. Only way to see how it sounds to your ears is an audition.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Don't forget the Marantz PM6003. Better than the NAD or the Rotel IMO - punchy and involving but plenty of detail and more finesse than the other two amps. Only way to see how it sounds to your ears is an audition.

Yup forgot that one...

It is a superb amp but with those now mentioned; demo's would be necessary as they all sound different and more so to someone elses ears!

T

the record spot

How do you like music to sound when you listen to it? How do you like the dish served?!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts