Looking for a sub/satellite set up for music/general use: A few quesitons

marcus_h

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I am looking for a system that will be in the bedroom, mainly for music but for TV/movies as well. I need to have satellites up on the wall for a number of reasons

I have shortlisted the KEF 3001, B&W M-1s, Gallo A'Divas and the Mordaunt Short Alumni 2. I would also like to partner which ever I choose with the Gallo MPS 150 sub, as it breaks down into amp unit and bass unit, so fits anywhere, and you can buy a second bass unit. It also gets very good reviews.

I will be looking to partner this with something along the lines of an Arcam Solo Mini.

So, Q1, what would people expect to be the best with music (all lot of jazz, classical, but a bit of everything). And, Q2, is there any reason that the Gallo sub wouldn't sound good with all of the satellites above?

Thanks for any ideas!

A

Anonymous

Hi Marcus

I haven't had any experience with the Gallo sub but the specs and reviews seem to suggest it is good. Have you had a look into the B&W ASW range? Understanding you might need the versatility of the Gallo they might be out of the question but they're fantastic little subs especially for music.

As for the bookshelves, I would lean towards the B&W M-1s based on there cone construction. The glass fibre mid/bass cone will give you a good amount of detail.

Also, have a look into the Focal Dome range. Lovely looking and sounding speakers. My father has owned a 5.1 system of the Dome for quite some time now and they are extremely impressive speakers.

marcus_h

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of the Focals, but should include them on my short list. And the ASW might be a good alternative. I will dem all of these, but in many cases I won't be able to do so with the same sub, but I imagine that whatever sub I buy, a bit of careful placement etc should see me right.

A

Anonymous

they're all great subs so as you say a bit of careful placement and tinkering with the settings should result in happy listening. i would focus more on the bookshelves. good luck with the demoing!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts