Looking for a good amp for 4 ohm speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
ok I have done so much reading about ohms and watt not, that I seem to be sending myself barmy.No more long winded scientific articals for me. I have new speakers coming Dali 2.8's rated at 4 ohms.When I was a a schoolboy I remember listening to some opera on a teachers hi fi .....( naim gear i think). Anyway.it was the control the amp/amps had at low volume that wowed me. I would like to recreate that with my Dali's. I have had no problem with the sound quality of my current kit! it's only floor is that I have to increase the volume.I miss out on the extreme low volume deatail and presence.

Now I don't have mega bucks and I have an idea which amp might be right, however I would love to hear any suggestions as to

a suitable amp for 4 ohms speakers to create that low volume control I am after?

p.s. I realise that most modern amps will cope with speakers rated at 4 ohms .

cheers D

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
What kind of money are you looking at and is it a intergrated amp or power amp your looking for?

Also, do you know the minimum impedance of the Dali's?

A

Anonymous

I have the dali,s, audiolab 8000s plus a 8000p power, Bi-amp.

excellent.

I think rotel may offer something of the same price/spec not sure...

A

Anonymous

MattSPL:
Also, do you know the minimum impedance of the Dali's?

They should come in around 3.2 Ohm as a minimum to be a 4 Ohm nominal speaker.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies,

I have looked at the Audiolab gear and have seen a Audiolab 8000A for £200 but that seems steep for second hand. I like the option of having an intregated(Sp) amp that has out's to ad a power amp later when funds become available.I would also consider an intragated amp with no out's.......but have no idea what to look at.

As far as funds go my initial thoughts were either the audiolab8000s or the NAD C326BEE or the C355BEE all of which I can add a power amp later if I want to........

I guess for my current budget a sole int amp on it's own would be out of the question.......

what about the Marantz 6003 again I have no idea about this amps capabilities........

What HI fi say the Nad326BEE is only a Budget amp.....but is this case if you add a powere amp t it.

Clear as mud

d

A

Anonymous

Also should I consider the Rotel RA-04SE which had a great review and I can add a power amp to that at a later date?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The NAD C355BEE will drive the Dali's fine and yes, a power amp (the C275 or a 2nd hand C272) would be plenty as well (150wpc)!

The NAD C326BEE is a good amp but the Dali's need better.

The Audiolab 8000S would be worthwhile looking at but IMO a 2nd hand Arcam Alpha 10 integrated would be bob on
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

to be honest. Dan

I am not keen on second hand..........can I better the C355 at £300 in silver from RS...I don't see how I could...it seems its only competitors are the Rotel 04 se or as far as reviews go the Marantz 6003.......will it give me the control I want........I don't go on reviews I like to audition ...but may not be practical at the mo the review failed to give it's fifth star because of "flaws".....

aggh

A

Anonymous

http://www.sightandsounduk.com/manufacturer/m162/Audiolab.aspx

Offer them £600 for a 8000s and a 8000p, snatch the money out of your hand.....

A

Anonymous

job done....The Dali's are here and being powered by a lovely Rotel RA971 MKII.

Thanks to everyone for any advice given .....I have enjoyed the forum very much ....

But now it is time to just sit back and enjoy the awesome sound that is in my living room.....

D

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Nice amp but I thought you werent keen on 2nd hand?

IMO you'd have done better with the Arcam Alpha 10 integrated; stunning amp and was close to £1k in it's day!

See how you get on with the Rotel though; should be a good'un
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi Dan yes in general I am not keen on second hand ........but it was in such good condition and with a three month waranty.....

It did try it against some Arcam gear I think it was the Arcam delta 90.2 and it had much more depth...but the Arcam still sounded good ......Havn't seen or tried the other Arcam ..thanks for your help.......it's been very much appreciated....I think now it's time for me to enjoy my system and wine.....for many years.......yours sould keep you going for a long time to. Incidently I was all set to buy the NAD 355 until I heard the Rotel.

D

matthewpiano

I keep my eye on his website on a regular basis.

I purchased my Rotel CD player from Steve. He is excellent and I would buy from him again without question, even though I am too far away to visit and have to deal with him over the phone.

I think you made a really good move there and I look forward to hearing about how much you are enjoying it.

A

Anonymous

yeah waht a nice genuine guy.....and what a refreshing take on the industry......A good amplifier is a good amplifier regardless of price or make!

I would recommend him in a flash.........

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
NAD. NAD NAD NAD.

Their amps are designed to deliver high currents- I used a C350 to drive some Celestion Ditton 66 monitors (the size of coffins, 4ohm nominal, dipping to 2ohms in the bass), and if I tried to describe how amazingly good it sounded, you wouldn't believe me. The amp only ever once gave out- the thermal cutout saved the day at a party. A very loud party. Well, it saved itself anyway- my tweeters were already toast. That proved expensive...

Most amps will drive 4ohms with no problems, but I vote NAD, as they have the required grunt to keep a tight grip on the cones. A C355BEE would do nicely if the budget will allow. Or find a C370, C350 or 352 or even a 372 secondhand.

Just my humble opinion anyway...

A

Anonymous

Several Primaluna integrated and power amps have both 4ohm and 8ohm outputs, to ideally match speaker demands.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts