Look out on Ebay

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well I just got ripped off. That 610 pound I paid for my new audiolab 8000x7... gone. They had good feedback, but the sellers account was hijacked, so my cheque got directed elsewhere.. bah anyway, ordering monoblock and extra 8000p instead of x7 now... paying with...PAYPAL!!!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
More details please mate!

even the link to the Ebay item. You should get your money back if pay with paypal though may be a long process.

John Duncan

Yeah, ebay protection kicks in over a certain limit and a certain feedback score - check their complaints procedure. Your bank should also be informed of the fraud if it's a cheque, though your position is less positive (with the bank itself, at least) if you wrote a cheque to suchandsuch and suchandsuch cashed it. They will be able to tell you (or more likely, the police) where that bank account is though.

A

Anonymous

Lots of scammers about at the moment!

Was selling my camera and had gentleman registered in Belgium (registered end day of the auction) asking me to send it to Nigeria. The scam was he was sending me fake emails looking like ones from paypal requesting that i send them the tracking number then they'd send me the money!
I politely told them where to go!

A

Anonymous

Just for info, this type of thing should be kept in house by the banks and Ebay, but beyond a certain level, your local Criminal Investigation Department should take it on. You'd have to get the lowdown from Ebay, but don't get to the point where you are being turned away at the front office of a police station with a station officer telling you "It's a civil matter"..... speak to CID through the police station switchboard.... after all, this type of crime funds bigger things like terrorism.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Yeah, ebay protection kicks in over a certain limit and a certain feedback score - check their complaints procedure. Your bank should also be informed of the fraud if it's a cheque, though your position is less positive (with the bank itself, at least) if you wrote a cheque to suchandsuch and suchandsuch cashed it. They will be able to tell you (or more likely, the police) where that bank account is though.[/quote]

Yeah I paid by cheque, thats how I bought my 8000C and the feedback score was good so I never thought. The item has been removed from ebay for violating their terms of sale... I think because the seller realised their account had been hijacked and wrote in about it. Apparently they still can't access their own ebay account.

well anyway, I just bought an 8000M for the centre for 250 quid and I guess I'll look for another 8000P... ATM though I'm bidding on 2 more M's, not sure if I wanna fork out how much their final price will be though (more than 500 I expect)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tom83cat"]Just for info, this type of thing should be kept in house by the banks and Ebay, but beyond a certain level, your local Criminal Investigation Department should take it on. You'd have to get the lowdown from Ebay, but don't get to the point where you are being turned away at the front office of a police station with a station officer telling you "It's a civil matter"..... speak to CID through the police station switchboard.... after all, this type of crime funds bigger things like terrorism.[/quote]

Absolutely, for me there is more to it than being done out of 600 quid, thats less than 3 days pay for me. But some little scrote who thinks he can outsmart me and steal from me by outwitting my own cunning deserves to be mashed into a pulp surviving only his spinal cord, which I shall use as speaker wire.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Mr_Poletski"]
600 quid, thats less than 3 days pay for me. [/quote]

Have you met the taxman?

[quote user="Mr_Poletski"]But some little scrote who thinks he can outsmart me and steal from me by outwitting my own cunning deserves to be mashed into a pulp surviving only his spinal cord, which I shall use as speaker wire. [/quote]

Plod's on the forum so I would look for the warrant any time soon... ; )

A

Anonymous

Hey Mr_P
Sorry to hear you were scammed, some cruel people in this world that's for sure...
Makes me feel almost lucky that I only lost £50 in the Grado SR60 scam from last month...
Once again the minority are proving to very good at wrecking a superb system for the moral majority.... Bring back the birch!!!!
Neil.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="Mr_Poletski"]
600 quid, thats less than 3 days pay for me. [/quote]

Have you met the taxman?

[quote user="Mr_Poletski"]But some little scrote who thinks he can outsmart me and steal from me by outwitting my own cunning deserves to be mashed into a pulp surviving only his spinal cord, which I shall use as speaker wire. [/quote]

Plod's on the forum so I would look for the warrant any time soon... ; )[/quote]

Well I sent the cheque to:
6 NEWTON HOUSE
CORNWALL STREET
LONDON
E1 2QP

So if you know they guy, give his door a hammering! I suspect it's an empty address though, where somebody has found as a good place to get anonymous mail from. The cheque was in his name though, so he had a bank account with that name. If he's smart (and he was smart enough to hide his IP address when sending emails) then he will have opened that account under a flase identity, or found a way to cash it somewhere like cash converters. He'd also need fake Id for that...

A

Anonymous

out of interest, I have my old 8000A, is it possible, without modification, to just use the power amp stage via tape loops?

Basically, I could save myself a few bob using this 8000A as a power amplifier for my rears. I already bought a new 8000M for 250 and this would give me 5.1 which would be enough for me right now... But I still want 7.1 when I get my own place hehe. Actuall, I have no sub, so 5.0 hehe. Don't need a sub with these MA's!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="tom83cat"]Just for info, this type of thing should be kept in house by the banks and Ebay, but beyond a certain level, your local Criminal Investigation Department should take it on..... speak to CID through the police station switchboard.... after all, this type of crime funds bigger things like terrorism.[/quote]

Not being funny, but it does depend where you are. My card was cloned and over £4,000 used on various sites, including the cinema in Croydon where I live. Having provided all the details to my bank, I phoned the Croydon police. After 30 mins, got through to someone who told me "this sort of thing should be filled out online" so I dutifully went to the site he told me with advice someone would get back to me within 24 hours. A week later, I thought I'd phone back, considering whoever cloned the cards presumably lived somewhere near Croydon to buy cinema tickets there (unless this was a cunning double bluff). No one was interested, I believe someone asked didn't I have my crime reference number... as if that's all I should really be concerned about to get the money back from my bank.

At that point I gave up. If the police aren't really bothered, I can't see why I should be.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tom83cat"]What name was he using and which Ebay account?[/quote]

minid86 was the user, but the account was hijacked. The actual owner plays hockey for rover oxford womens league=)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]I believe someone asked didn't I have my crime reference number... as if that's
all I should really be concerned about to get the money back from my bank.[/quote] Unfortunately, most front line police officers become cynical having dealt with so many false claims, most of whom only want the CRIS number (the most I have dealt with in a single day is 3, ranging from the usual DSS £80, up to £15,000... all totally bogus). The best person to talk to would have been the officer assigned to your CRIS, as the person answering the phone is usually looking for the first opportunity to bat your call off.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="tom83cat"]the most I have dealt with in a single day is 3, ranging from the usual DSS £80, up to £15,000... all totally bogus[/quote]
Fair enough I hadn't thought of that side of it. It was several years ago now so not worth chasing up really.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="AdamLoewy"]Lots of scammers about at the moment!

Was selling my camera and had gentleman registered in Belgium (registered end day of the auction) asking me to send it to Nigeria. The scam was he was sending me fake emails looking like ones from paypal requesting that i send them the tracking number then they'd send me the money!
I politely told them where to go![/quote]

That's one thing I will never do. Ok I have to be sure first and I'll pry into it until I am, but when I know they are trying to scam me I'll bury them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts