live music

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Went to a concert of Nine Inch Nails this week. Iv'e got a love/hate relationship with their albums: it often just don't' 'stick' with me.

However, the live performance was .... unbelievable. I've visited a *lot* of concerts over the last 20 years, but this one is defintely in my top 5 when it comes to sound quality. Absolutely amazing.

So I was wondering: are there more people with examples of music where you really need to see/hear it live?

Regards,

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I feel the same way about The Arcade Fire. Girlfriend goes mad for them, but I've never felt it. Saw them play live, and my tune changed.

abacus

Unless it is a studio band or setup, then there is no substitute for hearing the band live, and that goes for all of them.

In addition find out about the bands in your local area, as you will get some great feeling music that will move you just the same as many top bands.

NOTE: This applies to all types of music.

Bill

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I went to see NIN in Birmingham. I agree, it was breathtaking and brilliant. Like you, I feel their albums are dotted with average tracks, but even the average songs were brilliant live.

Lots of great live bands, I saw Goldfrapp the other week. WOW.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
There is nothing better than live music :)

The thread below is a good place to see what music people are going out to see :rockout:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/this-week-i-have-mostly-been-listening-to-watching/your-most-recent-gig?page=13#comment-2962096

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Can't beat an Iron Maiden gig in my opinion. I think it can be mood related too. I've seen bands I love in a live situation and found I didn't enjoy it that much.

Some bands are better on stage than on record. Machine Head are one of them.

Oh I did see Robin Williams once at the Milton Keynes Bowl. I wouldn't buy his albums but boy was it an awesome show.

Spockfish I bet if youo listen to the NIN albums again you might find you enjoy them more.

There have been some Iron Maiden albums I couldn't get into as much as I wanted to. Once I had seen them live on the tour of that album I was able to get into it.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:
First time I saw Rammstein was something else.

Mrs DDC is kind of wierd with music. She hardly ever listens to recorded music and takes little notice of anything I play.

But live music is completely different. Last time we went to the opera (Mozart) she was in tears at the final curtain (in a good way) and a month or two ago she was dancing on the tables (literally) to some pretty average american rock band in Cabo Wabo.

Women, eh....... ;)

jjbomber

Springsteen live really has to be experienced. Way above his album performances.

Def Leppard have a much tighter sound live than in a studio.

Loads of good live bands but no so many who are different to their studio performance. There is a lot less improvisation these days and far too many play it safe.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I am old enough to remember when live music was generally dreadful, particulalry at large venues. An unlistenable to wall of distortion and noise.

These days with flying line arrays and the magic of digital signal processing, very good results can be had. A typical setup:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/photos/photo/956/

I remain surprised that it has taken as long as it has for 'pro' techniques of active speakers and DSP correction to find its way into home hifi. Its not the cost, my Squeezebox boom has 6 DACs, 6 amplifiers, full DSP active crossover and a streamer, all for less than £250.

I can only assume it is conservative hifi buyers, and a lack of expertise with speaker manufacturers.

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I've never been to a concert but if you have ever heard a whale and it's beautiful songs in person it is quite miraculous, would reccomend it to anybody and if you want i might be able to get some samples of their songs for you.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Glacialpath said:
Oh I did see Robin Williams once at the Milton Keynes Bowl.

Comedians tend not to be at their best in vast outdoor venues.

Oh tish of course I meant Robbie Williams. LOL oh that quite a c*ck up. Funny though.

I would love to see Robin Williams tpp hahahaha.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
richardw42 said:
First time I saw Rammstein was something else.

Rammstein are the best live band in the world. No one puts on a better show when they are on top form.

+100 for Rammstein!!!

I've seen them 9/10 ago in Pavilão Atlantico in Lisbon, and at the time didn't knew nothing from their live concerts...

i was mind blown at the time, NEVER SEEN nothing like it, and still haven't! It is from another world!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts