Listening to music on Headphones what can I do with £1500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
More and more I end up listening to my music (mainly film music from the 60s to current) on headphones before I go to sleep at night. I really only use my hifi in the living room for TV and films now. At present in the living room I have an Marantz CD10 attached to an Onkyo TX SR606 with Mordant Short MS 914s. But I seem to get more sonic pleasure from my cheapo Technics SL-PG490 CD player and Sennheiser HD565s in the bedroom. I'm sure I could make a big leap forward in terms of sound quality by either moving my Marantz CD10 to the bedroom and adding either a Headphone Amp or a normal Amp. Or forgetting the Marantz and buying an upmarket CD player with Headphone Amp or normal Amp. With a budget of £1500 what should I do.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Plug digital output from CD10 into a good DAC/Headphone amp.

As you want to spend £1500 then the Benchmark DAC1 should do the trick. (The DAC1 without USB is about £900).

That leave up to £600 for headphones which is plenty.

I cannot advise on these as I am happy enough with humble HD-595s and a Beresford TC-7520 DAC/headphone amp and know nothing better.

Someone here is probably an expert on suggesting far more expensive headphones to match the DAC1 but Benchmark themselves recommend the HD-650s. (In stock on Amazon UK for £250)

idc

Hi Gold Digger. Nice budget to play with. I googled the Marantz and the first thing I found was that it is on the Rock Grotto website. Rock Grotto modifies Musical Fidelity headphone amps and any others they can get their hands on. So using that CDP as a source seems a good place to start. From me I would go with the Musical Fidelity X-CANV8P, which you can get for less than the £400 RRP. In the future you can get Musical Fidelity to modify it at £180ish. (It has to MF to do the upgrade as they now glue components in to stop others from doing the same). They upgrade various components, details on their website under Fine Tuning. Add some AKG K702 (£250, but I bought for less on the web) headphones and you are laughing, for half your budget.

You will get a sound that is detailed, has tons of clarity and rocks with all types of music, but lacks deep, deep (dull, thudding) bass, if that is your thing. I also like the sound, (which is similar to AKG see the What Hifi reviews for both on the website) and comfort of Grados. In your budget is the X-CANV8P and top of the range Grado RS1i, which I have not heard, but am sure they will sound brilliant. Just make sure you find their on ear fit comfortable. Sennheiser's sound is fine too, but the higher up the range, the more disappointed I have been. They just don't do it for me. I found the HD565s to be very rounded, but they had no highlight. I also think the build and comfort is behind the others.

In this months issue of What Hifi there is a very positive review of the Lehmann Black Cube headphone amp and from the past the Graham Slee Solo is highly regarded.

Hopefull you have a few ideas now. But with your budget you should have dealers falling over themselves to arrange kit for you to audition. Just start by going somewhere that has Grados and other styles of headphone and try them on for fit. Comfort is very important in the long run. I would buy Sennheisers over any other headphone if their comfort was greater, even though I find the sound slightly less satisfying.

Stormboy

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I use a Stax SRS 4040 system consisting of electrostatic headphones and a dedicated headphone amplifer. The sound is excellent, very fast and open. You should be able to pick up this system for arround 1000 pounds, leaving 500 pounds for a good DAC, or you could just swap your CD players over and use the Marantz in the bedroom.

Stormboy

Dannysigma

Aug 21, 2007
Visit site
Little Dot CD transport £200

Little Dot DAC £200

Little Dot Mk IV headphone amp £200

then spend the rest on a decent pair of cans, or, for different music types, different cans. Stax would be hard to beat at that price, or HD650s at £250 and Alessandro MS Pro for about £480 (depending on exchange rate) or Grado RS1s. I'd go for the Alessandros - they are modified Grados that cost less than the originals as Grados are much cheaper in US.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone so far. A lot to look at and listen to! I will look into all these recomendations.

idc

Post back and let us know what you decide to do
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts