T

the record spot

No bad thing - would be very tempted to consider that myself in time. Happy with my current amp for now, but used, you're getting a nice pair. As it were...!

A

Anonymous

Alright. I've secured myself one Wakonda preamp, and one LK85 power amp.

But a question arises... Why settle for one LK85 when I could have two????

I know it's another biamping question but: What would be more beneficial? Running two lk85s as monoblocks, or running the tweets off one and the drivers off the other? Would a less powerful amp for the tweets be better?

A

Anonymous

If you've got the two amps there, why not give it a test and see...

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Ah but does the Wakonda have two sets of preouts to feed the two power amps (for tweeter/woofer biamping)? Not sure you can daisy chain them if you don't.Yep the Wakonda has two outs. And the power amps have pre-out repeaters so that if I was feeling REALLY saucy I could run an individual amp for each driver.

One day maybe, but I'd need some honking speakers to justify that.

Think 40wpc for tweets and 70wpc for drivers is a good balance? I'm new to this biamping game.

A

Anonymous

raypalmer:
Think 40wpc for tweets and 70wpc for drivers is a good balance? I'm new to this biamping game.
As usual, whatever sounds best! I suspect that way round though. I used to play with the different combos with my Arcam Alpha 8 and 8P but they had the same power. I found that pre/power sounded cleanest but not as gutsy. May have been placebo of course!

A

Anonymous

Thaiman:Ray. When you can just add a Genki and job done. Hours of glorious music for peanuts....well done.Ahhh excellent. So the Genki is superior to the Mimik?? I've been trying to find that out on the Linn forum but the place is a graveyard. Should've known to go straight to tm.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
raypalmer:Thaiman:Ray. When you can just add a Genki and job done. Hours of glorious music for peanuts....well done.Ahhh excellent. So the Genki is superior to the Mimik?? I've been trying to find that out on the Linn forum but the place is a graveyard. Should've known to go straight to tm.

Genki certainly sound better. It have more bite than Mimick, everything from treble down to bass. The Genki also have a pair of variable outputs so you can use it with LK without Wakonda.

I would suggest stick with the fix outputs and Preamp though as I thought it sounded better. The price is from around £320 - £600 depending on age and condition. Yes, you can buy a player with more resolution for around that price mark but for a cheer musical enjoyment I put the Genki up there with the very best.

A

Anonymous

Cheers TM. I can see some Genkis going rather reasonably on audiogon, will pursue that.

Unfortunately this is all highly academic as my poweramp seems to be stuck in the customs logjam at the border.

I'll let this thread go by the wayside until such time as Douanes Canada decides my Linn's not a funny-sized scottish bomb. Then I'll report back with initial findings because I know you're all waiting with bated breath.

A

Anonymous

Aaaaaallllright. Got the LK85! (I won't bore you with the details, but judging by the tracking info it made a 1500 mile loop-de-loop of sorts across the united states midwest for some strange reason.)

Anyway, first thoughts. I've run J.J.Cale, CCR, Dethklok and Beethoven so far. All after letting it warm up nicely while watching some dvds through it.

It certainly doesn't have the sheer oom-pah-pah of the Jolida. But it's only 57wpc or something into 8ohms. My speakers are 6ohm so I guesstimate about 69-70 watts of SS power versus the 63ish of tube I was getting before. All in all the tubes wrought a mighty bass that the Linn can't seem to quite do. The frequencies seem to be hitting the same lows, just not with the same intensity and character. Basically the swings into base aren't so sweeping, but to me music is in the mids so all is not lost.

All that said, the polite bass is where the disadvantages end. I've clearly got boxes of much better breeding here. The bass, while not as championed as with the JA, is deep and firmly under control. Midrange detail is a vast step up and I reckon better than the Nait. There is a balanced level of detail across the mid and high end as well, I don't feel as if the amp overemphasizes any of the spectrum and it has an uncanny warmth that places me firmly into the Linn camp if one had to choose between Naim and Linn. Despite Naim's undeniable sexiness.

The opening movement of Molto Vivace in Beethoven's 9th Symphony announces itself with vigor and there are definetly things I've not heard before shining through.

All in, after four hours of testing some very familiar scenes on dvd, some records and cds. I'm extremely satisfied. The duo out-performs the Nait5i without the Nait's harsher high end, that was my hope, I feel I've found something good here.

Incidentally, I've just secured an LK100 as well, so I will report back again with bi-amping reviews.

Oh and I must give credit where credit's due. The Oppo is holding up very well considering the company it's keeping. I'm still out for a rega or linn cdp in the long run, but the Oppo's temporary position will hold now that I've shelled out for the LK100.

EDIT: I can distinctly hear music sheets being turned on this my Mozart cd. I've been aware of it before, but it's been much closer to the peripheries. I can clearly hear it now. Quite something.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts