Linn Tukans + Rega Brio-R: the ticket?

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi everybody!

So the story goes... After more then a decade of hi-fi abstinence I am in a market for a complete system. I am considering Croft pre-power combo (with phono input) or Naim 5si integrated + a phono stage (Stageline + SH power supply or Lejonklou Gaio). On the speakers' shortlist are Harbeth P3ESR, something form Kudos or PMC 21 (vinyl source is LP12, digital source is unknown ATM). That was the original plan.

The price of just phono+amp+speakers would be in the multiple 1000GBP department. Just phono stage costing around 500GBP or more.

Looking at the price of ex-demo Rega Brio-R, I thought it might be well worth getting the Brio - costing less then a phono stage alone - selecting the matching speakers and either live happily ever after or at least buy me some time before committing more serious money on amplification. In the meantime, I could also figure out exactly what I want from amp and phono.

Since Brio-R is already almost one of the big legends of hi-fi history, this option is very tempting (and in the past I was very much impressed with performance of Brio 2 with LPs - but it really sucked with CDs). The downside is a SH market in my country - I can not hope to get much (if anything) for a used Brio-R once I decide to move on.

For various reasons I almost dismissed the above plan, but now I saw a pair of SH Linn Tukans for a decent price. I am thinking of giving them a listen and buy them if I like what I hear. And then take them on a blind demo with Brio-R against Nait 5si.

Brio-R + Tukans could well be the end of my hi-fi line or could buy me even more time and give me even better reference to what I ultimately want.
What do you think of the plan? Any thoughts and experiences welcome!

ATB

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Nima :shifty:

i've demo a Naim 5i and 5i 2 in my house with my dyns and din't like naim sound sig, too analitical...

The same happend with Naim V1 DAC in December, i've brought home a demo unit and find the same, too analitical, but very precise timing, Naim is not my cup of tea....

Rega Brio R is an outstanding "litle" BIG amp with a terrific phono stage built in!

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
We're big fans of the Rega amp, but I'm not sure it'll get the best out of the Linn speakers. For all its good qualities the amp can sound a little bright and thin when matched poorly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts