Linn Klimax Exakt

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
The Source Is In The Speakers, apparently... www.linn.co.uk/ Exciting times, but being a Klimax it'll be beyond the likes of you and me, no doubt.

Yes, but will there be a 40th anniversary version with speaker cabinets made from old Buckfast barrels?

"The Sauce Is In the Speakers."

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
So I wonder if this is the big Linn secret that we've been discussing on that other thread? Hope not.

Had a quick look at the videos, lovely marketing spiel, but I couldn't work out exactly what they were proposing. Am I missing something?

Is it a Klimax DS feeing straight into an active speaker or something?

CJ1045

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
At the moment it is a digital transport/source switch called the Exakt DSM which then feeds a digital signal to the speaker which has built into it a digital receiver that digitally splits the signal for each speaker drive unit. Each of these signals is then converted by a separate DAC into an analogue signal that feeds a separate power amplifier which then drives each drive unit of the speaker.

Perhaps easiest to think of it as a current Linn DS/DSM with the DAC removed and placed in a truly active speaker with a digital crossover.

One side effect of all of this is that if you are using an analogue source then the signal from it will be converted to digital first.

CJ

CJ1045

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Linn would argue that it is for digital music as the speaker should contain an Exact copy of the original digital music data. It is only in the speaker that this digital data is processed and converted to analogue. For an analogue source then the Linn statement is not true.

CJ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Aren't AVI gang already claiming that the same tech is used in their speakers?

So?

Sorry for the curtness, but unless they are going to sue Linn for patent theft (or whatever their complaint is) then it's just a couple of blokes muttering into their beer.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:

My understanding, based on the presentation by Linn's Technical Director at their 40th Aniiversary Celebrations, is that the differences between the AVI ADM 9's and 40's and the Linn Exakt system are that:

any analogue signals - eg from an Urika equipped LP12 - are converted to digital.

The active crossovers are digital

Digital equalisation is applied to the signal to counter room effects and speaker driver and port manufacturing tolerance effects

Digital phase correction is applied to the signal to take into account phase differences from the position of the various drivers relative to a given listening position

There are multiple DACs for each speaker. One for each driver. The DACs are placed after the active crossover and signal processing and just before the power amps.

The Linn Exakt system is software upgradeable. Also if the user changed his room or speakers or a speaker driver the system to could be reconfigured accordingly

In summary the Exakt system offers digital signal processing combined with digital active crossovers.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
bigboss said:

My understanding, based on the presentation by Linn's Technical Director at their 40th Aniiversary Celebrations, is that the differences between the AVI ADM 9's and 40's and the Linn Exakt system are that:

any analogue signals - eg from an Urika equipped LP12 - are converted to digital.

Digital equalisation is applied to the signal to counter room effects and speaker driver and port manufacturing tolerance effects

Digital phase correction is applied to the signal to take into account phase differences from the position of the various drivers relative to a given listening position

There are multiple DACs for each speaker. One for each driver. The DACs are placed after the active crossover and signal processing and just before the power amps.

The Linn Exakt system is software upgradeable. Also if the user changed his room or speakers or a speaker driver the system to could be reconfigured accordingly

In summary the Exakt system offers digital signal processing combined with digital active crossovers.

Looks very similar to the soon-to-come Avantgarde Zero 1.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
CJ1045 said:
At the moment it is a digital transport/source switch called the Exakt DSM which then feeds a digital signal to the speaker which has built into it a digital receiver that digitally splits the signal for each speaker drive unit. Each of these signals is then converted by a separate DAC into an analogue signal that feeds a separate power amplifier which then drives each drive unit of the speaker. Perhaps easiest to think of it as a current Linn DS/DSM with the DAC removed and placed in a truly active speaker with a digital crossover.

bigboss said:
John Duncan said:
I read 50k somewhere

Yup! :read:

so basically an overpriced version of Dyanudio Xeo

http://www.dynaudio.com/int/home_loudspeaker_systems/xeo/xeo.php

or Audio Pro

http://audiopro.com/content/audio-pro-wireless

??? Yup!

still, it's good to see active digital systems (where the signal is kept in digital domain as long as possible) to gain interest in hi-fi because IMO it's the way forward. DSP is really a formidable tool to counteract speaker design flaws.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
For the sort of money the Linn system costs I think I would rather own this active DSP speaker system :grin:

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/article/pmc-ib2s-xbd-a-active-midfield-reference-monitor/14576

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/products/professional/active/ib2s-xbd-a

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
bigboss said:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Squeezebox Boom. All of the above, plus a streamer for less than £300.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/uploads/a/ad/Logitech_Squeezebox_Boom_Audio_Design.pdf

To be fair, Sonos go down the same route with the Play3 and Play5, and this is the cornerstone of Meridian's range.

I have been banging on about DSP speaker / room correction, multi DAC, amp per driver for ever. My son's DT project was a DSP multi DAC / multi amp / multi driver 2.1 speaker setup. Based on:

http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/2-x-in-4-x-out

The challenge for the likes of LInn is that the hardware is dirt cheap (the active crossover / DAC linked to above is $80), but the development costs are a fortune. This benefits the volume producers, and makes the likes of the Boom extremely good value, or the Linn products extremely expensive, depending on how you look at it.

Anyway, I am glad that Linn are going down this route - it makes good engineering sense. Just lets not pretend that they are first at it (Manic - I mean you...).

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
It's only overpriced if it isn't any good...

No ! - you should know this one. It's only overpriced if it doesn't sell. :roll:

Last time I heard a memorable Linn demo at a show it was the .... LP12/ Ekos SE setup.

Anyway John, can you sort out my Cambridge Streammagic 6 internet radio connection before I send it back to Richer? :pray:

John Duncan

jerry klinger said:
John Duncan said:
It's only overpriced if it isn't any good...

No ! - you should know this one. It's only overpriced if it doesn't sell. :roll:

Last time I heard a memorable Linn demo at a show it was the .... LP12/ Ekos SE setup.

Anyway John, can you sort out my Cambridge Streammagic 6 internet radio connection before I send it back to Richer? :pray:

Actually, I was wrong anyway - it's only overpriced if it's not made by one particular manufacturer.

Is there a thread somewhere?

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
bigboss said:

So?

Sorry for the curtness, but unless they are going to sue Linn for patent theft (or whatever their complaint is) then it's just a couple of blokes muttering into their beer.

What is their complaint, assuming you're correct in saying they have expressed one?

So, where is the source? Will these speakers store their own music files or stream direct over wi-fi?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts