Linn Keilidh; worth an upgrade but to what?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone. I have a Naim set up: CD3.5. Supernait, and Linn Keilidh Speakers. I also have a spare pair of Neat Mystique 2s. I listen mainly to classical, blues, and a bit of prog rock.

I have had the Keilidhs for about 16 years and have always found them to take the rough edge off recordings which are not perfect ( an easy listenig speaker; smooth and weighty ) but have a feeling this is at the expense of clarity and openess on good recordings. I have found the bass to be a bit on they spongey side on these speakers although maybe a change in position could help ( haven't had the chance to do this for a few years but now have so will experiment )

I tried the Mystique 2s which I got second hand recently at a good price and really ike them. They have a real edge to them for rock and blues with a taut clean and pretty deep bass. The downside is that they can sound a wee bit harsh with some classical recordings IMHH ( though excellent on others)

My question is are there speakers which would suggest themselves as natural heirs to the Keilidhs given my preferences and experiences outlined above or do I really need to decide which set of foibles ( clean, open and a tad bright, or lush, smooth and a tad boomy) I should settle for unless I spend a lot more cash?

Advice would be most welcome.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Maybe look at Spendor, Sonus Faber, Harbeth and Opera. Kef R Series are also a possibility.

BTW. Welcome to the forum.

A

Anonymous

Thanks CnoEvil. I did hear the Spendors and was tempted but the £ was an issue at the time. I will give them another look. In some ways I'm not too unhappy with the Keilidhs but I reckon I could do a bit better with the Supernait CD3.5 combo
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts