Linn gets true competition finally...

manicm

From Cyrus:

'This year we will be unveiling our eagerly awaited streaming music player. Utilising over 25 years of knowledge and expertise, this new platform will meet the needs of the most demanding audiophile. This new product not only sounds remarkable but it also features a special interface that makes it very easy to use. Come and meet the team and experience this new and exciting product for yourself.

Visit us at the Bristol Sound & Vision Show in the UK for the official unveiling of our new streaming music player! Show dates are Friday 25th – Sunday 27th February 2011'

'very easy to use' are the keywords for me. Well we'll see.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Marantz, Rotel, Arcam, Denon, Naim and Yamaha

JohnDuncan: Cambridge Audio

Never heard of 'em. Mickey Mouse brands by the look of 'em, not TRUE competition

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:And Cambridge Audio. Don't forget Cambridge Audio.

Given that I've been chasing a review sample since last May, I'll believe it when I see it.

manicm

Andrew Everard:Amazing: you would have thought by now that Marantz, Rotel, Arcam, Denon, Naim and Yamaha might have come up with something, wouldn't you?

It's admittedly a niche, but few of these support 24/192 playback? Of-course Cyrus too doesn't say yet. Also, Cyrus seems to be the first to be putting any emphasis on usability/interface.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
manicm:Also, Cyrus seems to be the first to be putting any emphasis on usability/interface.

Clearly you haven't used any of the products already on the market.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Helmut80:if only Cyrus would design a little more wife friendly

What, you mean with added fluffiness?
emotion-12.gif

Coming soon, the Cyrus 6XP iNk

193950ccfbli.jpg

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
manicm:Also, Cyrus seems to be the first to be putting any emphasis on usability/interface.

It's advertising guff dude, they're hardly going to send out a release saying their new system is impossible to use are they?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site

I think my other half would actually like Cyrus, due to its smaller form factor (it's big ugly boxes that annoy her), sadly I think they look horrible, so it's not going to happen!

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

What, you mean with added fluffiness?
emotion-12.gif

Coming soon, the Cyrus 6XP iNk

lol. It's actually the late 80s looking display that's the big no-no

manicm

Andrew Everard:

Clearly you haven't used any of the products already on the market.

Well Naim's own apple apps could do with improvement if the Naim forums are anything to go by. And Chorus DS, the newest 3rd party Linn DS app, is the first to get a universal
emotion-21.gif
from owners.

Yes I wouldn't know anything about the others.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
manicm:Well Naim's own apple apps could do with improvement if the Naim forums are anything to go by. And Chorus DS, the newest 3rd party Linn DS app, is the first to get a universal
emotion-21.gif
from owners.

Ah, hearsay, I see. Having used both systems - and all the others I mentioned above - I'd have to say the Naim app works both smoothly and reliably.

manicm

the_lhc:manicm:Also, Cyrus seems to be the first to be putting any emphasis on usability/interface. It's advertising guff dude, they're hardly going to send out a release saying their new system is impossible to use are they?

No it's not. Months ago Cyrus surveyed what potential customers wanted from a streamer. Which is more than I can say for Linn who just push the 'openness' mantra and have largely left the control software side of things to 3rd parties. And I'm dead sure Cyrus were reading the Linn forums.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
manicm:No it's not. Months ago Cyrus surveyed what potential customers wanted from a streamer. Which is more than I can say for Linn who just push the 'openness' mantra and have largely left the control software side of things to 3rd parties.The fact the company asked which of three aspects of an interface users thought more important constitutes a survey? I saw it more as trickle marketing.

manicm:And I'm dead sure Cyrus were reading the Linn forums.

They must be jolly slow readers.

manicm

Andrew Everard:manicm:Well Naim's own apple apps could do with improvement if the Naim forums are anything to go by. And Chorus DS, the newest 3rd party Linn DS app, is the first to get a universal
emotion-21.gif
from owners.

Ah, hearsay, I see. Having used both systems - and all the others I mentioned above - I'd have to say the Naim app works both smoothly and reliably.

Hearsay pehaps - but I gleaned this feedback from Naim owners on their own forum, like Linn's.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
manicm:Hearsay pehaps - but I gleaned this feedback from Naim owners on their own forum, like Linn's.

Ah well, if you will believe what you read on forums...
emotion-4.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
manicm:
the_lhc:manicm:Also, Cyrus seems to be the first to be putting any emphasis on usability/interface. It's advertising guff dude,

No it's not.

Yes it is, it's a press release right? In what way is that not advertising?

John Duncan

manicm:It's admittedly a niche, but few of these support 24/192 playback? Of-course Cyrus too doesn't say yet. Also, Cyrus seems to be the first to be putting any emphasis on usability/interface.

tada:

nt8-jtvsVQR5HpqvAC01F3d30PxNyUhWLHxK7qdft-zxo8802nHFdR7OCnv9PlZuBIZp-JZrvLrK5Pz2izFfrThL6LP9f7VytIM0gSNwB9wFfXAjwZXNMR4I0aPeIHksEDMm93mSyK19c6YNed1I253q

manicm

the_lhc:manicm:

the_lhc:manicm:Also, Cyrus seems to be the first to be putting any emphasis on usability/interface. It's advertising guff dude,

No it's not. Yes it is, it's a press release right? In what way is that not advertising?

Well that's a moot point, did I ever say it's not advertising? I said it's not advertising guff. They did put on a proper survey where users had to choose their important streamer attributes i.e. sound quality, usability etc - general component attributes and nothing Cyrus specific.

Marketing yes, advertising yes, but in response to you and Andrew they at least tried, unlike Linn or others
emotion-4.gif

Linn's original approach over 3 years ago was not dissimilar of an immature IT attitude of not 25 years ago where the guy with the cap back to front told users to swallow or shut up - shocking really.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
manicm:the_lhc:manicm:

No it's not. Yes it is, it's a press release right? In what way is that not advertising?

Well that's a moot point, did I ever say it's not advertising? I said it's not advertising guff. They did put on a proper survey where users had to choose their important streamer attributes i.e. sound quality, usability etc - general component attributes and nothing Cyrus specific.

Marketing yes, advertising yes, but in response to you and Andrew they at least tried, unlike Linn or others
emotion-4.gif

I'm sorry but at this stage you simply cannot say that, until you or anyone else has actually got the product in your hands and has tried it out you can't make any judgment about the usability of the product in question!

manicm

JohnDuncan:manicm:It's admittedly a niche, but few of these support 24/192 playback? Of-course Cyrus too doesn't say yet. Also, Cyrus seems to be the first to be putting any emphasis on usability/interface. tada:

Nope

manicm

the_lhc:manicm:the_lhc:manicm:

emotion-4.gif

I'm sorry but at this stage you simply cannot say that, until you or anyone else has actually got the product in your hands and has tried it out you can't make any judgment about the usability of the product in question!

I agree, but I'll put it to you this way - no high-end make like Cyrus or Linn can be stupid enough not to learn from mistakes or make them twice.

And this will be of interest to Sonos owners and to be fair to Linn - before his son took over from him as Linn MD, Ivor Tiefenbrun actually approached Sonos about possibly adapting their controller for DS, but couldn't because of some protocol issue or somesort.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
manicm:but I'll put it to you this way - no high-end make like Cyrus or Linn can be stupid enough not to learn from mistakes or make them twice.

Have you considered a career in comedy?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts