Linn DS model numbers??

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I am considering getting a Linn DS unit via the second hand market, but I'm completely confused by the historic model numbers - e.g. KDS/0, KDS/1 etc.

can anyone familiar with these possibly shed some light on these for the Akurate and Klimax versions, and what the differences between them are?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Good choice of streamer! :shifty:

The updates go like this.

1. The original version is called ADS/0; KDS/0

2. There was then a Dynamik power supply upgrade across all models except Sneaky/Sekrit - made a substantial difference

3. The KDS/0 was updated to KDS/1

4. Anyone with a KDS/0 could have it upgraded, and for a fee have a "Klimax Renew" made from the old board as an extra DS, which was often sold on.

5. ADS/0 -> ADS/1 (with option for a Renew)

Nb. These Renews often come up for sale, and the Klimax Renew is the one to get if you can find one.

- The upgraded versions are a good improvement

- There is ADS/M and KDS/M versions, which have the Amp and DS combined.

I have a Linn DS thread running: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/the-linn-ds-dsm-thread

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Cno, I was hoping you would chip in. Yes, after considering several options and reading such good things about the Linn streamers, I think that is the way I am going to go.

So, in terms of ranking them in terms of performance, presumably the KDS/1 is better than the KDS/0 and KDS Renew and the ADS/1 is better than the ADS/0 and ADS Renew, but is the ADS/1 better than the KDS/0 and KDS Renew?

- Gareth

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Chewy said:
Thanks Cno, I was hoping you would chip in. Yes, after considering several options and reading such good things about the Linn streamers, I think that is the way I am going to go.

So, in terms of ranking them in terms of performance, presumably the KDS/1 is better than the KDS/0 and KDS Renew and the ADS/1 is better than the ADS/0 and ADS Renew, but is the ADS/1 better than the KDS/0 and KDS Renew?

- Gareth

I recently acquired a Akurate DS1 and I can't speak highly enough. It is a great quality streamer and it takes digital music to another level. It comes with a cost of course but I suggest you look for second hand/ex-demo products as you might all the time knock a nice 20/25% off the price of a brand new item.

I listened to all of them, the Majik for the price of an ex-demo product is unbeatable. I haven't heard better value for money so far (even from a cd player). Consider you can get a second hand Majik at less than 1500 euro.

Then comes the Akurate...in the right system the difference with Majik is substantial. I say in the right system as even at the dealer we had to plug the unit into a more revealing system to hear the full potential of it...otherwise the difference was much more subtle.

I also asked to try the Klimax in the end and this is something special, still better than the Akurate but the price spike between the Akurate and the Klimax is too wide to justify...unaffordable for me at this time.

My resume, the best VFM is for sure the Majik. You get in my opinion a good 70% of what the Akurate can do at less than half the price. If you can afford the extra cash it is absolutely worth to go for that extra 30% with the Akurate!

Hope this helps

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Acalex, that is a useful summary.

I guess for me it comes down to budget. A brand new Klimax DS is well out of reach, but a second hand Klimax Renew might not be. A brand new Akurate DS/1 might just be in reach financially (though again, ex dem would be better).

So I imagine the decision for me is which is going to provide better performance between an older and upgraded, second hand Klimax DS Renew, and a new (or ex demo) Akurate DS/1.

Given that I'm probably not going to be able to demo this comparison, do you have any thoughts on the performance differences between these two?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Chewy said:
Thanks Acalex, that is a useful summary.

I guess for me it comes down to budget. A brand new Klimax DS is well out of reach, but a second hand Klimax Renew might not be. A brand new Akurate DS/1 might just be in reach financially (though again, ex dem would be better).

So I imagine the decision for me is which is going to provide better performance between an older and upgraded, second hand Klimax DS Renew, and a new (or ex demo) Akurate DS/1.

Given that I'm probably not going to be able to demo this comparison, do you have any thoughts on the performance differences between these two?

Second hand Klimax Renew it will be very difficult to find. It might even cost less than a brand new Akurate DS1 if you can find it second hand...but don't think it will be that easy honestly.

If you can stretch the budget go for an Akurate DS1 without hesitation. I would strongly suggest you to get an ex-demo deal. Start ringing Linn dealers around you as they usually like to renew their units every year more or less...I got mine which was only 9 months old with full warranty (5 years) with 25% discount compared to a brand new unit. If you are not that far I can also ask around here if they have any deal available as I know quite well the market around Belgium :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Gareth

IMO

- Any Klimax (including the Renew) is better than all models below it

- The MDS is probably the VFM model if buying new

- The "/1" is a big step up from the "/0" in both cases......so get the ADS/1 if in range and you are considering it.

- The KDS Renew is the one to get, if you can find it.

Streamer League Table: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/streamer-league-table

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Will do Cno, cheers.

I did add another post earlier, but it got moderated for some reason?!? (Probably because I included and eBay link)

Basically there is a Linn Klimax currently on Fleabay, but I can't quite work out if it is the Renew version or not. It has the upgrades power supply. Any ideas?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Chewy said:
Will do Cno, cheers.

I did add another post earlier, but it got moderated for some reason?!? (Probably because I included and eBay link)

Basically there is a Linn Klimax currently on Fleabay, but I can't quite work out if it is the Renew version or not. It has the upgrades power supply. Any ideas?

The Renew is in a very plain metal box, as opposed to the svelt looking normal model.

You should be allowed to link to ebay, but the forum can be a bit flakey.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
It's this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Klimax-DS-in-Mint-Condition-Boxed-with-Accessories-Dynamik-Network-Streamer-/181055406794?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item2a27be42ca

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Chewy said:
It's this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Klimax-DS-in-Mint-Condition-Boxed-with-Accessories-Dynamik-Network-Streamer-/181055406794?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item2a27be42ca

This is a regular Klimax with upgraded power supply...but it's an 8day auction and there are already 2 bids...I think it will end up at around 6/7k GBP...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
This might be more interesting...this is a Klimax Renew and not an auction.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Klimax-Renew-in-MINT-condition-from-Krescendo-HiFi-/121040374519?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item1c2e918af7

It is a proper hifi shop and accetps returns...I would buy with more confidence this one that the one you posted. If I were you I would ring the shop and ask how much could it take off the price if you pay cash or money transfer outside Ebay. Consider he pays Paypal commision and Ebay fees if he sells the item on the site.

I made a quick calculation and the shop should pay almost 400GBP (Paypal + Ebay fees) selling it on Ebay. So I guess if you offer him 4k GBP to complete the transaction in the shop I guess is a win-win situation... ;)

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the head up Acalex.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the 'Renew' models, its as if they are a chop shop product made from lefts over parts!

What do you think about the price? £4,300 seems quite high?

Also, and sorry if this is a dumb question, I take it Klimax Renew owners can't upgrade to the new KDS/1 board, and create a second Renew from the existing board?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Chewy said:

I'm still not sure how I feel about the 'Renew' models, its as if they are a chop shop product made from lefts over parts!

Also, and sorry if this is a dumb question, I take it Klimax Renew owners can't upgrade to the new KDS/1 board, and create a second Renew from the existing board?

Not at all, a Renew product is a Klimax which has been repackaged in another metal box and given again full Linn warranty (5 years).

The price is really not to bad especially if you can still knock these 300GBP off.

As Cno said any Klimax will be better than any Akurate around....otherwise I just found a second hand Akurate here from 2011 at less than 2k euro if interested...black.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
This might be useful... http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Renew_DS

And this also: http://www.head-fi.org/t/562754/linn-klimax-renew-ds

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Chewy said:

The Renew gives near enough the performance if the KDS/0 for a little over a third the price.....a full price ADS/1 is £4500 and not as good.

It is a little expensive (compared to what they first were), but word has got out how good they are.

Since Linn has done the chopping, it should be fine.

The initial cost of the Renew was less than it could be sold for, and was done for a limited time. I am fairly sure you can't renew the Renew.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
That's Cno - I have been offered an Akurate DS/1 for £2,500 also, so I guess I have a bit of a decision to make!

Thanks to you both for all your advice.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Chewy said:
That's Cno - I have been offered an Akurate DS/1 for £2,500 also, so I guess I have a bit of a decision to make!

Thanks to you both for all your advice.

Does it come with a warranty....which would make the difference for me.

Remember the ADS/1 gives stunning performance, and gets to (imo) about 80 - 85% of the KDS/0, which makes it the VFM choice.....unless you are the type of person who likes the best, and is prepared to pay a premium for it.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Does it come with a warranty....which would make the difference for me.

It does (the Akurate that is, not sure on the Renew) until 2015.

CnoEvil said:
.....unless you are the type of person who likes the best, and is prepared to pay a premium for it.

Unfortunately you've just described me with that sentence - its something of a curse! Hence why I'm in a bit of a dilemma!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts