Linn Classik vs Arcam Solo shootout

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I now own a Linn Classik and i find it to be very musical and great sounding. I demoed the Linn against the Arcam Solo as i was getting rid of my Rotel system and getting a one box solution.

I have to say that the Linn Classik wipes the floor with the Arcam and also my Rotel seperates(which suprised me). The sound of the Arcam was lame and dull in my opinion whereas the Linn was a sheer delight, making me enjoy my cd collection again.The treble of the Classik was more brighter therfore i found it to have more detail in the high ranges but not the extent i found it to be fatiguing.. The bass and all round detail was where the Linn really shone and won me over. The bass is tight - even tighter where paired with an power amp and the detail is as good as MOST seperates under £1500. The Arcam did produce more power as it has a more powerfuil amp than the Linn. I therefore would reccommend a power amp to compliment the Classik (it sounds great without) and give it more grunt.

The Arcam to me felt cheap with the front button. They felt tacky and were loose. This just added to my disappointment. However the Arcam delivered very good DAB radio - I only wish the Classik had DAB.

I am glad i bought the Linn Classik. Yes it has been around for ages but there is a reason why. Its not called a classik for nothing.

Linn Classik was paired with B&W 705 speakers and QED Silver Anniversary xt wire.

Are there any more Linn classik fans about??????

Is anyone suprised about my findings???

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's been a five-star product in our Buyer's Guide since 2001 - takes something special to achieve that!

Interesting choice of speakers to pair the systems with - I wonder how many one-box systems are paired with £900 standmounts?

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I think the Linn Classik deserves a great set of speakers to be paired with it. Lot of hifi dealers say to spend same amount on speakers as source. Since the Classik is a 1000 pound source it sure deserves great speakers.

The B&W really do make it sing. I really reccommend the combination. there is great synergy.

Better than my old Rotel seperates. And the plus is the headphone jack is awesome. No need for me to get a head amp. and the option of purchasing a power amp can only make it even more musical.

As i once read somewhere the Linn Classik is about the music only and not the Hifi.

It really does bring music to life.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Really glad you've found a system you like - that's the end goal for us all!

Also agree the Linn should be paired with higher-level speakers you'd expect a one-box system to sit with - which is why we mention the matching Classik Unik speakers (£945) as a good companion in our Buyer's Guide entry for the system.

And yes, a good general rule is to spend as much on source as speakers, to get a balanced system - but as the Linn Classik's both source and amplification, typical hi-fi maths would see most people pairing such a system with a @£500 pair of speakers.

But, as you've found out, the Classik is capable of more than that....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts