Linn Axis Turntable Upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm picking up a Cyrus CD8x for my main source very soon but have a Linn Axis turntable with Linn Basik Plus Arm and K9 cartidge. I was wondering how well it holds up against new turntables as I could sell it for around £150-£200 and buy a replacement, new or secondhand. I still listen to LP's as I have over 200 still but want to make sure I'm getting the best from my investment. I will probably use a Cambridge 640P Phone Stage and have it hooked into a Cyrus 8vs2 amp.

Any thoughts/recommendations

John Duncan

Well the Axis is a great 'table, and £150-£200 isn't going to get you anything better. Check your local Linn dealer about the cost of servicing, which even for say £100 would be very worthwhile. A new stylus for your K9 (if you can still get them, or failing that a new, modest cartridge), and you're away.

Cambridge 640p is a stormer btw, no need for anything better for a while.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for the advice, I thought that would be the case. In fact it had a new K9 fitted sometime ago so that should be ok. Glad to hear about the Phone Stage, it is recommended by What Hi-Fi so thought it would be good and its sits in the price bracket I have set for that device nicely.

John Duncan

Yeah, I tried a few up to about £200 and there was no benefit in the additional cost, in fact it was better than several - i wouldn't consider spending any more until you get into Dino territory.

A

Anonymous

So what turntable do you have? Always wanted a LP12 myself but could never justify the price to the wife!

John Duncan

A Project RPM5.2 - a christmas (and very late 40th birthday) present last year. I was secretly hoping for a Gyro but it wasn't forthcoming
emotion-1.gif

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
stick an audio technica at 95 in the linn and you have a replacement for the k5. i have an lp12 and used the at 95 while i was looking for an upgrade. well i got my upgrade but kept the at 95 it's that good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts