Linking my Laptop with my Hi-Fi ... help would be much appreciated.

Matt Ellis

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi there, im 17 and my iPod has just broken. I currently have a Denon Hi-Fi which i use the "Denon control Dock for iPod" (ASD-11R) to listen to my songs through it. Now that my iPod is broken, i was wondering what would be the best way of linking my laptop with my hi-fi.

I have MacBook Pro and the different components to my Hi-Fi are:

Denon AM-FM STEREO/DAB TUNER (TU-1800DAB)

Denon COMPACT DISC PLAYER (DCD-510AE)

Denon INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER (PMA-510AE)

I don't know a huge amount about Hi-Fi's but from what i've seen on the web, is the best way of doing it to buy a mini jack to RCA cable? If so, what ones would you recommend? The current sound quality from my "Denon control dock" is very good indeed so i would want to keep the same quality when linking it with my mac.

Many thanx,

Matt

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, what speakers do you use?
emotion-5.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The MBP has an optical digital output hidden inside its headphone jack, so using that into a budget digital to analogue converter will probably give the best sound quality.

Alternatively, you could try running a USB-analogue interface unit from the computer - some people seem to be getting good results from a little Behringer unit, the UD202 I believe, which sells for about £30.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, you could just use a 3.5mm stereo to 2x RCA phono cable from the headphone jack to a line-in on the amp, but such connections can be prone to interference.

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Haha, cool ;) How do you like it?

So when did you get your hi-fi?

I think I was 17 when I "opened my eyes", for this "hobby", and 18 when I got my hi-fi setup. (Am 19 now), and have already spend more than 3000 £ on this "adventure" :p

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Nice birthday presents ;)

Preamp: Emotiva USP-1. Poweramp: Emotiva XPA-2. Cdplayer: Emotiva ERC-1.
Speakers: Dali Ikon 5 mk2. Subwoofer: B&W ASW610. Interconnects:
Van den Hul; The Wave. That's my setup so far.

But still, I think a lot more people should open their eyes for hi-fi. Paying only a little more, (or the same, or even less) in a real hi-fi store can get you much better sound, than what you get in a "normal" electronics store, and I think people ought to know that (and what they are missing out on in terms of sound quality). All of my classmates listen to their music on "cheap" computer speakers and I'm just thinking, "Omg, they don't know what they are missing") :p

A

Anonymous

Matt you could use your Mac to connect to some active speakers! in the future, I use the Behringer UCA 202 via usb from an Acer laptop to connect to my active speakers great for spotify itunes etc. I know virtually nothing about pc's/mac's but it sounds brill,I'm 48 and also got into Hifi at 16/17. Amstrad amp,techniks cd,trio tuner and wharfdale denton speakers back then,rocking out and upsetting the parents with the volume.

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
£25,000 on kit, haha, that sure is a lot of money :p Maybe we'll do the same in 30-40 years
emotion-4.gif

Or maybe not. He must have a well paid job, since he can buy such expensive equipment?

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't mind spending that amount of money on hi-fi, if I was a rich guy, but yeah, for a "normal" guy, spending 25000+ probably ain't gonna happen
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

It took me about 3 years to perswade my wife to spend £1750 on ours but she did say we could also but the matyching Avi sub at the end of Sept! Yea ha!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts