LFE/high-level SUBWOOFER setting

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any sage advice regarding the best way of setting a crossover on a sub capable of simultaneous LFE and high-level connections? I know how to set them up separately, but I'm stuck on the best way of doing it with both being used together.

I've just bought a BK Monolith DF. It allows both high-level and LFE connections at the same time, which many seem to suggest is a good way of doing things, and means that, when listening to stereo music, I can still benefit from the sub's reinforcement. However, what's the best way of setting it up? Should I:

• set the crossover to "LFE", which effectively allows the surround amp to control the crossover point, but might swamp the sound when I'm listening to stereo music, rather than DVD/blu-ray;
  • set the crossover according to the high-level input to complement my main speakers (works out at around 40hz), and then run the amp's auto-setup again, high-level gain turned down, and let it work out a compromise for LFE?

One other possibility is to set it up separately for both, make a note of the settings, and then just change them according to whether I'm watching a film or listening to music.

Am I missing something really obvious? Any advice would be very gratefully received!!!!! Totally stuck, and can't find any clear advice on this anywhere.

System:

BK Monolith sub; Kef Q7 main front speakers; Q9c centre; 4 Q2ds rears; Pioneer SC-lx71 receiver; Pioneer BDP-lx71 Blu-ray; Pioneer PDP 5090 plasma in a largish room (about 6.5m by 4.5m)

A

Anonymous

Hi DawnandJim,

I think what you want is to have great movie sound using the sub but also use the sub for music as well.
You can do this without having the sub connected to the high level inputs and switching between the two.
If you want to use the sub for Stereo then you select the sub to plus instead of yes in the speaker settings. 80hz works ok for me
Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

The LFE feed into your sub should not go through its crossover circuitry and therefore the crossover you set on the AV amp will dictate this no matter what the sub's crossover is set to.

The high level (speaker level) will be passed through the sub's crossover circuitry which is what you set up yourself according to the limits of your main speakers (front left and right).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your advice Shreddy and Del. I'll certainly check out your sugestion Del. I think, Shreddy, you're saying that, no matter where I set the crossover, the LFE will be taken care of by the amp, and the high-level by the setting on the sub. Certainly seems to make sense. I was confused because there's only one dial to adjust the crossover frequency for both inputs, running from 40hz (all the way to the left) to an "LFE" setting (all the way to the right), which seems to be allowing the maximum frequency range of the sub to be available even via the high-level input. Looks like I need to experiment some more.

Thanks very much!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts