Len flares or anamorphic flares in films

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
in films avengers battleship looper super8 i thought we bad but the blu ray of total recall is silly.

Does any one else find it off putting to have them in cant figure why.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
With films like Total Recall it is "fashion" to add this sort of thing in to the end result. Havomg said that, Total Recall is nothing compared to Super 8, but then Super 8 is trying to recapture the feel and look of the 80's with films like ET and Close Encounters. Shot properly, there should be no lens flare at all. But it is becoming a fashion among those who are trying to recreate the feel of the 80's.

Overall, it doesn't bother me as there are issus that annoy me far more. I can honestly say it only stands out to me in Super 8 because it is excessive.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Personal taste is weird

I thought super 8 was faulty, and although there was lots and lots of lens flare (too much probably) I didn't mind it too much.

Whereas, although less in Total Recall I found it very annoying.

Hopefully another short lived gimmick.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
With films like Total Recall it is "fashion" to add this sort of thing in to the end result. Havomg said that, Total Recall is nothing compared to Super 8, but then Super 8 is trying to recapture the feel and look of the 80's with films like ET and Close Encounters. Shot properly, there should be no lens flare at all. But it is becoming a fashion among those who are trying to recreate the feel of the 80's.

Overall, it doesn't bother me as there are issus that annoy me far more. I can honestly say it only stands out to me in Super 8 because it is excessive.

I believe it's not 'added in' with total recall. I watched a few minutes of the extras (pictorial commentary played with the film) and they explain they had an old-style camera or lens specially made for them to give this effect. It seemed a bit much in the opening scenes but I can't say I noticed it much after that.

Paul.

BenLaw said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

I believe it's not 'added in' with total recall. I watched a few minutes of the extras (pictorial commentary played with the film) and they explain they had an old-style camera or lens specially made for them to give this effect. It seemed a bit much in the opening scenes but I can't say I noticed it much after that.

Not seen Total Recal, but in Star Trek they just used high powered LED torches :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
smuggs said:
Thanks for the replys i may have to try and ignore them and enjoy te film. Im guessing its a phase and will pass

That's probably right. J.J. Abrams loves his lens flare and that's why it's so prevalent in Star Trek and Super 8. It does look pretty cool at times but can be overdone. Others no doubt want to emulate the success of those films and pick something easy to copy.

I wonder how much there'll be in the new Star Wars?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:

I would class that as just as good as 'added in later'. If they've used a specific type of camera to produce the effect, that's purposely engineering it into the film.

AndrewFG

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Total Recall is nothing compared to Super 8, but then Super 8 is trying to recapture the feel and look of the 80's with films

Lens flare is one of JJ Abrams pet things. Have a look at his Star Trek movie and watch the "Making Of" in which he explains his reasons. You can see how he walks around his sets shining a flashlight directly at the camera in order to achieve his effects...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts