Leema vs competition?

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I am considering trying out the Leema Pulse integrated in my setup, but how well does it fare generally against its competition, such as Naim XS, Simaudio and others in its price range?

T

the record spot

Excellent amp by all accounts I've read; Hi Fi World loved it around a year ago. £1200 I think? Very capable piece of kit; would love to hear one too.

jakja83:I am considering trying out the Leema Pulse integrated in my setup, but how well does it fare generally against its competition, such as Naim XS, Simaudio and others in its price range?

Mind blowingly good. When I heard it the dealer attached it to a source and speakers best matching mine, Arcam CD192 and MA RS6, and I've heard Kandy LIII, Cyrus 8VS2, Creek Evo (MK1 version), the old Nait 5i...... and quite frankly, I've heard nothing like it. Stunning.

As I mentioned in another thread a couple of days ago, it is a genuine altenative to the Naim XS (same price, but Leema has more inputs). It's an amp that made me feel like a very excited school kid!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jakja83:I am considering trying out the Leema Pulse integrated in my setup, but how well does it fare generally against its competition, such as Naim XS, Simaudio and others in its price range?

In a demo of the Leema (the more expensive one) against the Naim 152xs and 155xs, I found their presentation to be quite similar. Both were good, but I couldn't see how to justify the extra third or so cost-wise on the Leema. That was with quite a few different speakers.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
But then of course, David, you don't stock Leema....
emotion-5.gif

We're big Leema fans here - definitely urge you to include their line-up in your shortlist. They're at the Bristol Show this weekend, too.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Really interested to hear about the new Leema products coming at the show as it was hinted to me (by their rep) that there were going to be some high-end additions to the range towards the end of 2010.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Maybe you are, but I seem to get that a lot. It seems I can't say anything about stuff I don't keep (which isn't much) without suspicion. I've worked for Superfi and Sevenoaks in the past 10 years and I've heard a LOT of stuff - some I still deal with, some I don't. But if I know what something sounds like, or how it compares, I'll give my opinion, whether it's needed, wanted, or not
emotion-1.gif

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I see. I am interested in the Leema Pulse amplifier. I am going to audition it and I also have been recommended the Sugden Mystro and Naim NAIT XS. The Leema appeals to me aestethically.

Claire, how would you say the Pulse fares compared to the XS especially and Mystro on very open, neutral and extended speakers?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
That's too wide a question; too many speaker options, and too many source variables!

You'll see we rate the Leema and Naim kit - among others; both have their merits and i'd urge you to discover that in your auditioning.

Sorry if that sounds vague, but at this price point (hell, at any price point) system synergy is key, as - of course - is your personal taste in music, styling, room size etc.

Enjoy your testing - remember to take along a selection of your favourite CDs.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
Maybe you are, but I seem to get that a lot. It seems I can't say anything about stuff I don't keep (which isn't much) without suspicion. I've worked for Superfi and Sevenoaks in the past 10 years and I've heard a LOT of stuff - some I still deal with, some I don't. But if I know what something sounds like, or how it compares, I'll give my opinion, whether it's needed, wanted, or not
emotion-1.gif

No need to get stroppy - you get a very fair hearing here, David.

jakja83:

I see. I am interested in the Leema Pulse amplifier. I am going to audition it and I also have been recommended the Sugden Mystro and Naim NAIT XS. The Leema appeals to me aestethically.

Claire, how would you say the Pulse fares compared to the XS especially and Mystro on very open, neutral and extended speakers?

If the Leema can control MA RS6's, then wiring them up to neutral ones should be a doddle.

I recently heard the Naim XS/Cyrus 8SE/Spendor SA-1 and A5 and that was also fantastic sounding. But (and we are talking a big BUT) to my taste, the Naim/Cyrus/Spendor was a tad analytical.

Sadly, both Leema and Naim tests were in different shops, so can't offer an opinion on which is best. Let me reiterate, the Leema Pulse is a fantastic alternative to Naim, Roksan Caspian and Cyrus set-ups. Hence why an audition is essential.

NB: The Leema Pulse is a bit cheaper than Naim XS. Don't take my word, contact relevant dealerships.

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I understand, Claire. I can get very good deals on Leema and Sugden so I`ll have to check them out.

I have to audition in-house so I`ll have to have each of them shipped to me... A bit costly in the long run, and that is why I wanted to hear what differences you had to lay out. Synergy is important, but knowing strengths and weaknesses tells me what to audition.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, well in our January 2010 edition, we ran a one-make systems Supertest. As part of that, we tested the Leema Stream CD player, Pulse amplifier and Xero speakers, plus the Naim XS pariring together with the Neat Motive 2 speakers.

Here are some selected quotes:

"There's no doubt this Leema system can produce a show-stopping sound that's great in small doses, but extra warmth is needed to make it an accomplished all-rounder"

"Where the Leema system is very analytical, to the point and sometimes bordering on the relentless, the Naim gives you all the detail, refinement and composure, but in a package that caresses the listener. It sounds more relaxed".

As I mentioned earlier, however, the variables of source and speaker can make massive differences. Plus, of course, you may prefer the Leema's forward. attacking sound - which certainly immediately impresses.

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I see. Hard to know what is the better match. I have the Roksan K2 now and I feel it is a bit warm and clutters things when pressed at higher SPLs with complex music. Source is Beresford Caiman most of the time. I want more neutrality and a more precise soundstage that still knows how to make music and not border on the clinical.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I rate the Leema very highly, as I have mentioned in other threads the build and sound quality are very good at the price point.

We were just recently pitting the Pyxis and Hydra against a similar combination from Bryston and the Leema holds its own against stiff competition.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

Clare Newsome:No need to get stroppy - you get a very fair hearing here, David.

I'm not getting stroppy, just having my say.

Now which is best, David or Clare, only one way to find out FIIIIIGHT
emotion-5.gif
Bet you Clare could batter anyone with her handbag

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
johnnyjazz:Now which is best, David or Clare, only one way to find out FIIIIIGHT
emotion-5.gif

I was so tempted to ask if this was a topless mud fight, but I best not.

Hang on....did I just type that out loud?

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I will have to audition yes, but I wanted to check if I had to put out 25£ each on 4 models or maybe one or two is enough, I live far from any shops and have to have them sent to audition and few shops will cost that just for being known for having good service.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
jakja83:I will have to audition yes, but I wanted to check if I had to put out 25£ each on 4 models or maybe one or two is enough, I live far from any shops and have to have them sent to audition and few shops will cost that just for being known for having good service.

Where about in the country are you. £100 is quite a lot of travel costs. Can you not make a day trip to a dealer first to narrow it down and then audition at home?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
johnnyjazz:Now which is best, David or Clare, only one way to find out FIIIIIGHT
emotion-5.gif

'Old avatar' Clare would simply lurk in a dark alley and - by the light from a single streetlamp - pull a small revolver out of her handbag like some hard tawkin 'Noir' movie broad and waste the dealer. (All in sumptuous chiaroscuro black & white of course.)

bigcombo.jpg

(Not sure about the wheelbarrow. Maybe Andrew will scurry out after 'the deed' and wheel away the body.)

I don't know how 'new avatar' Clare would fare though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts