Leema update - very strange.

Just phoned for a progress report. They can't find anything wrong with the headphone socket. This is puzzling as I've tried it on two sets of phones and the results are identical. The phones work fine on the Arcam and the PC.

They're going to re-cable the headphones, to be on the safe side, and they'll ship it back to me early next week.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
PP do you usually have the amp running for a long time prior to using the headphones? It may be a heat related problem that only shows up if the amp is hot.

The service guys will simply get the amp out try the headphones and if they hear no buzz all is fine. So you will need to direct them if you only used the heahphone socket when the amp was warm. ( i used to be a electronics engineer)

floyd droid said:
I've forgot what the problem was exactly.

When you plug the phones in it loses most of the volume and it sounds almost like one channel isn't working, although there is sound. It's like playing your favourite tracks with the speakers in a cupboard. It sounds fine on the RS6s but you have to crank it up to around 11 o'clock to get the same amount of sound as the speakers - and it badly distorts.

In fact on headphones it sounds louder and better on the Arcam Alpha.

boggit said:
PP do you usually have the amp running for a long time prior to using the headphones? It may be a heat related problem that only shows up if the amp is hot.

The service guys will simply get the amp out try the headphones and if they hear no buzz all is fine. So you will need to direct them if you only used the heahphone socket when the amp was warm. ( i used to be a electronics engineer)

Actually that's a really good point. Not thought of that, but they're going to re-wire the headphones before returning.

I feel fairly gloomy. It makes me seem like a pedantic old EDITED when I never usually complain...

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Out of my depth here a smidge but I wonder if the headphone amplifier gubbins inside the amp is configured as dual mono. Therefore 2 rectifiers. If a rectifier is degrading or shot you are experiencing the result I THINK.

floyd droid said:
Out of my depth here a smidge but I wonder if the headphone amplifier gubbins inside the amp is configured as dual mono. Therefore 2 rectifiers. If a rectifier is degrading or shot you are experiencing the result I THINK.

I suppose that could be a problem. I hope they've tested it thoroughly. But the cynic in me also says that maybe they don't want to admit their baby has a defective headphone socket. Otherwise why would they want to re-wire the headphone socket? or perhaps they won't. :?

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I also have the feeling that there are bad contacts in your headphones. BTW I hope Leema can confirm to you that they have found out a fault in your gear otherwise they will charge you for the postage for both ways before you can have your amplifier back :wall: Leema will only bear the courier cost when they have confirmed that there is a fault in their products.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Inter_Voice said:
I also have the feeling that there are bad contacts in your headphones.

But PP said he got exactly the same result with two different pairs of 'phones. A faulty 'phone socket seems much the likeliest culprit, which makes it odd, as PP says, that the folk at Leema can't find a fault.

No mention of any charges. If it comes back the same condition as it left then I'll seriously think about another amp. But won't jump to any conclusions until after I receive it back.

Whe I first sent it back, 3 years ago, they said they couldn't hear any humming. Only when one of them plugged expensive phones in did they detect it, but it was humming so loud it sounded like someone was fracking (very topical, and it isn't an expletive).

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Sod that, get the mankini on and try it out. Gives you time to call them if its still up the chute and deal out a mega rollocking ,lol.

smiley-laughing.gif

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
Its only 25C, what use is an amp if you can't use it?

Sorry forgot you are plastic. :)

Leema Pulse II is definitely not hot when compared with my Tucana II. With the present summer temp. the side cooling fins of the amplifier reach about 70-75 C which is really HOT after an hour of running !!! I have asked Leema and they said there is no problem with it and the older vesrion of Tucana runs even hotter :)

plastic penguin said:
No mention of any charges. If it comes back the same condition as it left then I'll seriously think about another amp. But won't jump to any conclusions until after I receive it back.

Whe I first sent it back, 3 years ago, they said they couldn't hear any humming. Only when one of them plugged expensive phones in did they detect it, but it was humming so loud it sounded like someone was fracking (very topical, and it isn't an expletive).

If they mentioned fracking 3 years ago they obviously don't know what they are talking about.

You cannot hear fracking.... trust me I know.:)

Alears said:
plastic penguin said:

You cannot hear fracking.... trust me I know.:)

Don't think the Geological Society would agree.

Got it back up and running. Really don't know what you have until it isn't around. Stunning sound. Only been two weeks but it seems like a new amp (or amp I haven't heard before).

Just played Gerry Rafferty's 'Get it Right Next Time' and the purity in his vocals is sublime. Also spun 'Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel' by Tavares and the bass just ebbs and flows superbly. The whole soundstage sounds so balanced.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts