Leema Elements Dac - a fine preamp too!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

So as a lot of you will no doubt have read in various posts, I kinda love my A28 amp and thought I would be keeping it for quite some time.

However after a bit of tweaking, I've turned the A28 into a power amp of sorts by bypassing the internal preamp using the av inputs and fixing the volume in 'proc' mode using the Leema as the preamp.

Sounds sharper, more top end sparkle and detail and the bass is more believable along with the vocals. Not night and day, but certainly evident over an extended listening period. Just been upsetting the neighbours at some volume and it sounds much more composed at higher volumes. The soundstage is less obvious too, further beyond the speakers.

Question is, do I replace the A28 with a dedicated power amp? :? Will I get much more improvement?

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Here goes...

So I bought the Leema Elements Dac after extensive research and after a good home demo of the Leema and an M2Tech Young Dac as I wanted to upgrade the Sonos.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it is in a totally different league to anything I have heard before (most sources I have played with have been between £350 and £700ish). Brilliant timing and dynamics, amazing detail and a great soundstage. The Elements Dac has been the most significant upgrade I have made and has meant that music is more engaging, exciting and enjoyable. I must say that I disagree with the WHF review as I find it extremely cohesive, very rhythmic and extremely fun to listen to. I listened to the MDac (on a shop floor) and I felt it was cold and quite brash sounding and although the Leema is exceptionally detailed, it is not to the detriment to the overall presentation of the music. Ok, the remote is pants and the casing is a little flimsy but you can't have it all!

Another brilliant plus with this DAC is that you can use it as a proper pre amp as it has an analogue volume (not digital like some which can create unwanted fluctuations in bitrates). As mentioned above, I have turned my A28 intergrated into a poweramp being controlled by the Leema. Probably a bit gheto but I really like the sound. The soundstage has really improved to the extent where it becomes far less obvious, there is bags of detail and better seperation of instruments - it also sounds far more composed at volume and more enjoyable to listen to, so much so that I just want to crank it!

The Elements DAC was a great buy and is definately going to the be the centre of my current and future system :cheers:

p_m_brown said:
Here goes...

So I bought the Leema Elements Dac after extensive research and after a good home demo of the Leema and an M2Tech Young Dac as I wanted to upgrade the Sonos.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it is in a totally different league to anything I have heard before (most sources I have played with have been between £350 and £700ish). Brilliant timing and dynamics, amazing detail and a great soundstage. The Elements Dac has been the most significant upgrade I have made and has meant that music is more engaging, exciting and enjoyable. I must say that I disagree with the WHF review as I find it extremely cohesive, very rhythmic and extremely fun to listen to. I listened to the MDac (on a shop floor) and I felt it was cold and quite brash sounding and although the Leema is exceptionally detailed, it is not to the detriment to the overall presentation of the music. Ok, the remote is pants and the casing is a little flimsy but you can't have it all!

Another brilliant plus with this DAC is that you can use it as a proper pre amp as it has an analogue volume (not digital like some which can create unwanted fluctuations in bitrates). As mentioned above, I have turned my A28 intergrated into a poweramp being controlled by the Leema. Probably a bit gheto but I really like the sound. The soundstage has really improved to the extent where it becomes far less obvious, there is bags of detail and better seperation of instruments - it also sounds far more composed at volume and more enjoyable to listen to, so much so that I just want to crank it!

The Elements DAC was a great buy and is definately going to the be the centre of my current and future system :cheers:

Mmmm... very interesting. It sounds like it mirrors the Pulse. It could be a great match, certainly something to seriously consider for the future. Although I can't see an immediate role, I do like the idea of dac doubling up as a preamp.

Thanks for the info.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
I have a Leema Elements DAC too and couldn't agree more with PM's comments. It is fantastic and leagues ahead of the competition in my opinion.

I use it with a Leema Elements Amp and Kef R500s. It is all a sensational match and a system I would recommend to anyone.

Nice review PM.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Seems many people find it much better than the review. It is very highly-rated.

Can I ask roughly what you paid for it? As I've seen a couple of used ones come up (one on ebay) and discounts on it (Unilet Blue Murder, an ex-demo or refurb I think), but wasn't in a position to buy. Very interested and am waiting for one to come up like this again.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Got a brand new one from my very helpful local Sevenoaks for £895. I think the WHF review has probably put a lot of people off unfortunately but it means there are deals to be had with a bit of negotiation!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
inbox4 said:
I have a Leema Elements DAC too and couldn't agree more with PM's comments. It is fantastic and leagues ahead of the competition in my opinion.

I use it with a Leema Elements Amp and Kef R500s. It is all a sensational match and a system I would recommend to anyone.

Nice review PM.

Thanks Inbox. I would love to check out the R500s but I am not sure I have the room to let them breath :cry:

Interesting obsevation: It seems that some people who love the Arcam sound also like the Leemas. I've always said they have similar traits (backed by a review HFW, where they state the A38 was very similar to the Pulse). I've come across many, including some dealers who like Arcam and are fans of Leema.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
inbox4 said:

Nice review PM.

Thanks Inbox. I would love to check out the R500s but I am not sure I have the room to let them breath :cry:

I wouldn't be automatically put off. I have mine in a very small room (2.5 x 3.5). They would sound better with more room to breathe but still sound fantastic. I can't imagine a bookshelf in that room (or other floorstander of similar price) comparing for me - even in my tiny room!

Kef R series and Leema amps are a fantastic match in my opinion.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Good to hear inbox,

My gear is set up in a 4x3 section of a larger open plan room so the R500s will probably grace us with their presence for a home demo at some point!

I am also toying with replacing my ghetto A28 'power amp' with a matching elements poweramp or 2 as monoblocks! This game gets expensive!

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
I'm using Leema's own Lynx 3 cables as interconnects and speaker cables.

I'd like to try the mono blocks too but like you say, it's an expensive game. I'm also in blissful ignorance of wondering how anything could sound better which is a nice place to be. I don't want to spoil it by finding out!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that both. Leema interconnects and cables were developed with Chord so no surprises there. I really like chord cables so wonder if an interconnect higher up the tree will be worthwhile?

p_m_brown said:
Thanks for that both. Leema interconnects and cables were developed with Chord so no surprises there. I really like chord cables so wonder if an interconnect higher up the tree will be worthwhile?

I'm yet to be convinced cables make a huge difference. IMO they make slight tonal differences, but you'll need to hear them for yourself. Sorry can't be more constructive.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks PP,

In my system, I have heard the difference between Crimson, Cobra 2s and my current Chameleons with improvements at every upgrade. Nothing ground breaking but certainly bass depth, clarity and sound stage improvements. Probably get lynched now by the anti cable/ bellwire brigade!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts