Leaving Sky, Now need new PVR box

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Just handed in my notice with Sky and need a new PVR, i used to own Humax Foxsat HDR which i was very please with but i now see new boxes.

Have been looking at 3 contenders

Pure Avalon 300R

Humax DTR-T1010

HDR-1000S Freesat HD+

Not sure to go with freeview or freesat as i have access to both, i gues it would all have to do with ease of use and content,

i know WHF have done reviews but has anyone had any experiance with any of these?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I have the Humax you mention - I think it's an excellent PVR. YouView is pretty decent now, and the ability to just find the programme you want to watch and play it, rather than faffing around searching in iPlayer for the right programme / episode is good. Also, the ability to remote record programmes using iPhone / Android app is very useful.

daveh75

You cant go wrong with either of the Humax tbh. Both platforms have a 'roll back' EPG now so that's not a differentiator anymore.

Both are easy to use too.

So really a question of channel lineups, as there are channels available on FV that aren't on FS and vice versa.

My personal preference would be freesat over youview though, as it doesn't have the bandwidth constraints of dtt and I'm not really fan of YVs split personalities....

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
The line up of channels on freesat are all round better, but the Humax freeview box has all the channels for catchup (not that see a point of it) though i have never used it.

It's the added stuff like Now TV, Love Film rental services that i think could be the deal breaker

What do you mean by you views split personalities daveh75?

daveh75

landzw said:
The line up of channels on freesat are all round better, but the Humax freeview box has all the channels for catchup (not that see a point of it) though i have never used it.
As do the Freesat <free time> boxes now.

What do you mean by you views split personalities daveh75?

I just don't like the fact YV differs depending on whether you by the standalone version, or BTs or TTs

abacus

The split personality has nothing to do with the box, if you plug the standard Humax box into a BT Broadband connection it will look exactly the same as the BT box, (Same with Talk Talk) and vica versa.

Catch up TV is handy if you forget to record something, (Or didn’t notice it was on) as you can still watch it. (NOTE: It only applies to channels that have a catch up service)

Hope this helps

Bill

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't aware of the difference between BT/TT & standard YV apart from the online content.

The Freesat free time does it now have itv & C5 on demand because looking over forums people are still claiming Humax have still not added them as yet

daveh75

abacus said:
The split personality has nothing to do with the box, if you plug the standard Humax box into a BT Broadband connection it will look exactly the same as the BT box, (Same with Talk Talk) and vica versa.

Did I say it was?

I personally just don't like that the services differ...

progwardy

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi, Don't know if you're still looking, but my Humax Freeview DTR-T1000 very sadly passed away sometime on Thursday evening. It had been expected as the 'click of death' had been heard, but it's certainly an 'ex-box' and has ceased to be. I'm getting 'a new one' - but there are increasing stories of hard drive failure (some on the TalkTalk forums). Mine was purchased in November 2012 and you do get a two year warranty. It is a good box (with some very minor irritations remaining in the latest update – can be a bit sluggish using the remaote for example) and I found the ability to go backwards through the EPG useful on occasions to catch up on things missed.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Before you choose, just make sure you actually get the full Freeview service. There are a number of areas that only get Freeview 'Lite'which seriously limits the channels, no E4 or Film 4 for example.
The earlier recommendation of moving over to 'Freesat from Sky' is a good one, but I wonder if you are then not able to take advantage of 'new'deals as you are a continuing customer.

daveh75

relocated said:
The earlier recommendation of moving over to 'Freesat from Sky' is a good one, but I wonder if you are then not able to take advantage of 'new'deals as you are a continuing customer.

Not really, since the op wants a PVR, and you have to continue to pay Sky a tenner a month for the recording facility and requires talking to a CS rep who's aware it exists/willing to offer it.

trj007

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
What about Freesat itself, not Freesat from Sky, That way the OP doesn't have to pay Sky. Yes, the OP would have to buy a Freesat box.

Selby

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
I dont blame you. I left Sky Satellite TV in Y2000 and havent looked back. The continuous loop of inane adverts and mediocre news commentators, such as Kay B, for example, was the final straw. Instead of paying Sky a Subscription I now buy BD Discs and also watch free-sat if Im that really bored. Trust me, you will save a lot of money in the long run....:)

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Just an update,

The day after i last posted i had an e-mail saying fibre broadband was finally in my area and because i was with Talk Talk i manage to upgrade to fibre for £10 per month and also in that price i got a free YouView box, so i decided to give it ago.

So far i'm pretty happy, though the YouView box isn't as slick as the Sky box or has the content it does have a pretty smart feature using the on demand programs which i thought i would never use but works great, and when comparing my Sky package of £40 to the add on packs with YouView Kids £5 and Now TV £8.99 with Now TV in my lounge, bedroom, kids play room and on my iPad for less than half the price of Sky

Not only that the content on Now TV movies is massive so all in all it feels like i have made a good move

Fingers crossed my internet doesn't never go down

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts