Leaving it on

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I know this has been covered before but wanted to get a definitive answer in relation to each peice of equipment.

I leave my Marantz intergrated amp on pretty much all the time unless I know it's not going to be used for 3 or 4 days.

I leave my Cambridge CD player on standby, On at the back, standby on the front.

I leave my tuner switched off though I do use it most days.

I leave my Grado's plugged in, therefore 'on' however rarely use these.

Any problems in doing the above? Should I leave my tuner on? should I unplug the headphones?

Thanks.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
'definitive answer' ? good luck !!
emotion-2.gif

T

the record spot

I switch my stuff off - it's warmed up after years of use now, sounds fine from the off, no problems with it; why let the electricity company get your dough?!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sod global warming, exponentially rising energy bills, being held 'energy hostage' at the whim of unstable regions who all hate us, impending world economic recession, rampant self-serving bonuses to energy company execs and a sinister correlation in the increasing incidence of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall programmes on TV, we must - at all costs - keep our high-fideltity equipment powered up 24x7x52 so we don't get any slight 'edginess' for 30 minutes after power up!

A

Anonymous

chebby:Sod global warming, exponentially rising energy bills, being held 'energy hostage' at the whim of unstable regions who all hate us, impending world economic recession, rampant self-serving bonuses to energy company execs and a sinister correlation in the increasing incidence of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall programmes on TV, we must - at all costs - keep our high-fideltity equipment powered up 24x7x52 so we don't get any slight 'edginess' for 30 minutes after power up!

of cource, and dont forget that most things blow up at switch on, not in use.

A

Anonymous

I turn everything off. I used to leave everything on but then I thought about it for a second and then realised I was being stupid (as happens occasionally).

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
chebby:Sod global warming, exponentially rising energy bills, being held 'energy hostage' at the whim of unstable regions who all hate us, impending world economic recession, rampant self-serving bonuses to energy company execs and a sinister correlation in the increasing incidence of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall programmes on TV, we must - at all costs - keep our high-fideltity equipment powered up 24x7x52 so we don't get any slight 'edginess' for 30 minutes after power up!

Ha ha, I'm with Chebby on this one. I dread to think how much energy/money you're wasting. I actually switch my kit off and then switch off the socket on the wall too. Mind you, I guess it may save you a bit on heating bills
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
friendly1_uk:of cource, and dont forget that most things blow up at switch on, not in use.

In my humble experience the only thing that has ever failed at 'switch on' in the last 30 years was some 5 years ago when an underrrated Dell PC power supply gave up. Dell bloke was on doorstep next morning and replaced it with correctly rated PS. The Dell PC in question is still a valued member of our family of 3 home computers and has been powered off/on every day since then without further incident.

In my 29-30 years of hifi ownership not one item has ever failed at power up. (In fact not one item has ever failed, full stop.)

My childhood and teens were heavily populated with TVs that went kaput. (They were all rented as I recall and the Radio Rentals bloke was almost 'family' in most households in our area!) As an A' level student I worked Saturdays and holidays in a hifi shop and the only items that regularly failed in this way were Goodmans Module 90 receivers. (Roughly 1 in 4 would fail first time out of the box!) I was embarassed to sell them and vigourously steered anyone interested away from them if at all possible.

Back then Amstrad had a stinking name for not only failing but blowing up & catching fire and (if you were really unlucky) embedding bits of speaker in walls/carpets/pet dogs/cats/children etc!) Luckily I never owned one (or had to sell any) but - as a student back in the 1970s when most students were poor - I knew quite a few Amstrad/Fidelity/Prinzsound owners who bore the scars of ownership.

I would be suprised if any modern mainstream manufacturer is putting gear out there that 'blows up' when powered on.*

*Except for Apple MacBook's notorious 'Magsafe' power cables which regularly self destructed/spontaneously combusted/melted....

http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magsafe

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rheauchyr/sets/72057594082940769/

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I have one of those remote-controlled adaptor sets - 1 remote, 4 plug-in adaptors.

I have them set on my Hifi / TV setup, Computer upstairs, laptops downstairs and wireless router / cable modem in the garage.

One push of the big button, and they all go off completely. I should say that I do switch most of my equipment off properly before using this, but compared with leaving everything either in standby (computers / laptops charging) or switched on (in case of hifi), I'm saving around 250w... Given they are not used for 12 hrs a day, I'm saving 3KWh at 15p a go. That's £13.50 a month...

I find that 1/2hr is enough warm up for my Naims, and the rest works fine from cold.

As for HFWhittingstall and eco living, I'm just about to get some chickens as egg-laying pets!

A

Anonymous

OFF, POWER UP BEFORE SHOWER READY WHEN FINISHED .

BUT LEAVE MAINS SURGE BLOCK ON SO IS ALWAYS DOING ITS JOB .

A

Anonymous

off, put on 20 mins before, then check the volume control to see if little legs has put it up to full like he always does, that would be expensive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts