Leave my amp on?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is it better to leave my amplifier when I don't use it? It doesn't have stand-by. My dealer says that it's better to leave it on as you dont have to warm up the amp every time.

Thoughts?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
SlickenSmooth:
Is it better to leave my amplifier when I don't use it? It doesn't have stand-by. My dealer says that it's better to leave it on as you dont have to warm up the amp every time.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't leave mine on overnight or whilst I'm at work, but once it's on during the day, it's on.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:SlickenSmooth:

Thoughts?

I wouldn't leave mine on overnight, but once it's on during the day, it's on.

Me too. Carbon footprint and all that.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
SlickenSmooth:

Thoughts?

I have a Naim setup which bizarrely only has a big rocker switch on the back to turn the power on and off. They imply you leave it on all the time but I dont. Most I will leave it on for are a couple of days. I dont even necessarily believe the "it has to warm up to sound good" thing.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd leave it on all the time. This will lessen it's possibility of breaking down.

I know people will say it's not very eco and all that, but is it really going to make any difference in the grand scheme of things? Is turning your amp off when you're not using it going to save us all from roasting alive? No!! You pay for the electric - enjoy it while you can
emotion-21.gif

I use a pair of lovely, thirsty Brytson 7B monoblocks which can use in excess of 1000w each - do I feel guilty? Not at all!! Sorry, but an eco friendly budget amp doesn't do it for me.....

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
I'd leave it on all the time. This will lessen it's possibility of breaking down.

I know people will say it's not very eco and all that, but is it really going to make any difference in the grand scheme of things? Is turning your amp off when you're not using it going to save us all from roasting alive? No!! You pay for the electric - enjoy it while you can
emotion-21.gif

Er, isnt the point that if you multiply this argument by the number of people who have amps in the world it turns into a rather larger problem?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
JamesOK:Er, isnt the point that if you multiply this argument by the number of people who have amps in the world it turns into a rather larger problem? Do you really think that we audiophiles pose a threat to the existence of the planet?

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I've always left my amps on, the 303 in particular benefitted. Major difference with my current amp too which sounds as sweet as a bag of spanners falling down a flight of stairs for at least thirty minutes after switching it on!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
andrewknight:I've always left my amps on, the 303 in particular benefitted. Major difference with my current amp too which sounds as sweet as a bag of spanners falling down a flight of stairs for at least thirty minutes after switching it on!

I agree, a couple of hours after switching on it's a lot smoother.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
JamesOK:Er, isnt the point that if you multiply this argument by the number of people who have amps in the world it turns into a rather larger problem? Do you really think that we audiophiles pose a threat to the existence of the planet?

My remark was meant as a more general one really. I just think people should be in the general habit of switching things off, whether it be amps (for us Audiophiles), TVs, computer equipment etc.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

emotion-21.gif

I use a pair of lovely, thirsty Brytson 7B monoblocks which can use in excess of 1000w each - do I feel guilty? Not at all!! Sorry, but an eco friendly budget amp doesn't do it for me.....I'm sorry, but your attitude is simply ********. Do you think that your 'audiophile energy' is treated any different than the stuff the rest of the world uses? Wasted energy is wasted energy. You wouldn't let your vacuum machine run for no reason and you wouldn't have your windows open when you're heating.

Now go feel guilty, because it seems that I'm saving energy wherever I can so you can run your damn Brytsons.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Everything in my house gets switched off, lights in other rooms, energy saving bulbs wherever possible, public transport every day, vegetable patch in back garden, heating and water on for minimal hours, plenty of walking to shops rather than using the car etc etc but I do sometimes leave the CDP and amp on at weekends if I *** out and know I'm going to be listening later in the day.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Cistron:FrankHarveyHiFi:

emotion-21.gif

I use a pair of lovely, thirsty Brytson 7B monoblocks which can use in excess of 1000w each - do I feel guilty? Not at all!! Sorry, but an eco friendly budget amp doesn't do it for me.....I'm sorry, but your attitude is simply ********. Do you think that your 'audiophile energy' is treated any different than the stuff the rest of the world uses? Wasted energy is wasted energy. You wouldn't let your vacuum machine run for no reason and you wouldn't have your windows open when you're heating.

Now go feel guilty, because it seems that I'm saving energy wherever I can so you can run your damn Brytsons.

Can you save some for me too as I'm getting a valve amp soon and will need all I can get?

A

Anonymous

andrewknight:Can you save some for me too as I'm getting a valve amp soon and will need all I can get?I'm trying hard.

Maybe I was a 'little' harsh with my response. However, leaving high power consumers on just for the sake of protecting it from damage (without any reasonable evidence that it would), is simply irresponsable. One can't permanently rely on 'the others' to fix everything. How's Tesco's slogan? Every little helps.

Sorry that I hijacked this thread and turned it into a wigging.

edit regarding Frank's next post: how subtle.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Cistron:I'm sorry, but your attitude is simply ********. Do you think that your 'audiophile energy' is treated any different than the stuff the rest of the world uses? Wasted energy is wasted energy. You wouldn't let your vacuum machine run for no reason and you wouldn't have your windows open when you're heating.Would you like to call me a ****** to my face? You know where I work......

Everything else I turn off when not in use - but when I want to listen to MY hi-fi, with electricity I'VE paid for, I want it to sound good from the off. So it stays on.

A

Anonymous

hey hey calm down people. No need for rudeness. I just wanted to know wether it's true what my dealer said and what's better for my Hifi. Let's all get along.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well SS, we'll see if he apologises for his comment, which I do believe isn't tolerated on this forum.....

It is true. And as for my comment about it lasting longer, it's like many things - the more they're turned on and off, the shorter its life span. It's the constant heating up and cooling down - light bulbs, car engines, hard drives......correct me if I'm wrong.

A

Anonymous

To be fair he said the attitude was ******** rather than you....which I guess is ok by the Ts&Cs.

Funny you should mention hdds...with computers it was once recommended you kept them running (& all my company's clients that I can remember did so - 15 yrs ago). Nowadays you'd struggle to find any company believing it's a sound or necessary policy.

HiFi amps are a funny one. Mine are mostly on (except weekends away/hols etc), but I'd feel like a selfish idiot if I left the house lights on all day (putting aside cost of electric)...maybe a hypocrisy I need to think on!

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
Well SS, we'll see if he apologises for his comment, which I do believe isn't tolerated on this forum.....

It is true. And as for my comment about it lasting longer, it's like many things - the more they're turned on and off, the shorter its life span. It's the constant heating up and cooling down - light bulbs, car engines, hard drives......correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah I know it's definetely true for computers. But I can imagine it being true for Hifi as well.

A

Anonymous

No, I mean the main reason no companies I work with would (avoidably) run machines 24/7 is a combination of electricity cost & green credentials. They're not worried about damaging the machines one way or the other. If you ignore the tiny tiny proportion of overclocked cpu/gpu gaming machines, PCs don't remotely run hot.

A

Anonymous

mine remains off when not used, but takes 20 min-1/2 an hour to warm up properly

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts