LCD or Plasma

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi newbi here

I have been a subscriber to What Hi Fi more many years, and think its a great magazine.

Please can i have some advice on my next TV?

What the best type of TV for watching football on sky HD ,DVD, Blu Rayand freeview, LCD or Plasma. There's so many new TV,s out there, i have seen some good reviews on the Samsung PS50C7000 (plasma) and the Samsung UE46C8000 (LCD) but any other make will be looked considered.

Any advice would be much appreciated

A

Anonymous

To me plasma always wins on image quality. They have imo a more natural picture but if your tv is going to be in a bright room with lots of daylight you should prolly go for LCD

A

Anonymous

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

My lounge is quite bright during the day but i tend to watch my tv in the evenings when its a bit darker.

One more question do you have any thoughts on Samsung tv because i have Panasonics in the past so any other opinion would be much appreciated.

I with the forum had spell check i keep on having to look in the dictionary.

Thanks

scene

If you want 3D, I'd say plasma - as it seems to get less crosstalk than LCD. I've got a Pioneer Plasma (not 3D) in a very bright room, and the picture is fine. LCD panels are lighter and hence easier to wall mount. Plasma still edges it on image quality IMO.

A

Anonymous

Thanks For your advice

I don't want 3D at the moment but it would be nice to get a tv which is future proof.

How come Samsungs are so much cheaper than Panasonics i think there 3D tv is the VT range but its mega money but as i would like a good quality tv is it best to try and get the best i can afford, what do you think.

Cheers

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Don't look at technologies or specification numbers, look at TVs. LCD or plasma isn't really important, what's important is how it looks. Read some reviews, get a shortlist and an idea of a budget and then demo in a decent retailer / retailers, where you can see a TV true to life i.e. in a normally lit demo room where you are free to play with the settings, rather than just staring at TVs in a neon-bathed showroom with the default settings. Take some demo discs with you so you can see how the TV performs with material you want to watch. Once you've done this, you'll be far better placed to decide on which is the best TV for you.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I think plasma still get you the best picture if you want to watch sports and movies. If you just want to watch some tv in a bright room then lcd/led is ok.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Definitely try with as many sources as you can. Something like the Dark Knight on blu ray is a real test for true black shades on any screen. The night scenes some screens just cant replicate. Plasmas historically have always done this better, but each screen is so different.

A

Anonymous

hi

Thanks for all your help guys realy helpful
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

'How come Samsungs are so much cheaper than Panasonics (Plasma 3D)'

I too would like an answer to this - The VT20 is nearly twice the price of the 3D Samsung plasma that recently got 5 stars. Is the VT20 that much better to warrant the premium?

A

Anonymous

Hi again

I have seen a Samsung UE50C 7000 in Amazon for £1180.00 with good reveiws on there site but on other forums there have been some problems with the hdmi conections, does anyone have one of there's tv and what do they think of them.

Does anyone know what the difference between the UE50C 6900 and the UE50C7000 the guys in the local currys said that the 7000 is being discontinued and the 6900 is replacing it, strange that you would think it would be the other way round.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Sorry Fish2000 i did not answer your post.

Just found out today there are 2 types of Panasonic 3D tv avalable. the VT range which is starts form about £2000 and theres a cheaper GT range which is only avalable in 42 inch for about £1500, still a lot more expessive than a Samsung.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
its an interesting question and one i think panasonic will have to answer with price cutting pretty soon... my 42vt20 and 3d blu-ray player cost me about 800 euro more than my friends 50" Samsung 3d tv with player and 3 pairs of glasses thrown in! when i bought my tv i talked to the retailer re pricing and he said panasonic usually set the pricing for the christmas period beginning of october, but that if they arent selling well they wil reduce the prices to compete.. so i'd say there could be better deals coming up to christmas... of course thats no use to fools like me who have to rush in and buy..

Fish2000:

'How come Samsungs are so much cheaper than Panasonics (Plasma 3D)'

I too would like an answer to this - The VT20 is nearly twice the price of the 3D Samsung plasma that recently got 5 stars. Is the VT20 that much better to warrant the premium?

A

Anonymous

Try the Sony HX903 as well, that's the best LCD in the market right now and its PQ is better than any current plasma in its price range that I could find. Comes in 46 or 52 inch screen sizes.

A

Anonymous

The Sony HX903 is even more expensive than the VT20 and more than twice the price of the Samsung PS50C6900. I just can't get my head around the price difference. I am pretty sure Amazon are offering the Samsung PS50C7000 for less than the RRP for the 6900...

I am certainly looking forward to the next WHF issue as hopefully this question will be answered?

A

Anonymous

Perhaps the Samsung PS50C6900 & 7000 is more comparable to the Panasonic GT series?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts