last.fm now to cost money

scene

Just seen this on the BBC: last.fm to become paid for service for mobile devices
Seems like the advertising-funded service will remain for web-based access, but that other access methods will need to be paid for, but ad-free. Apparently Microsoft are going to subsidise access from the XBox or WinPho 7.
I suppose this just brings the UK in line with most of Europe, where last.fm costs €3 per month - it will cost £3 per month here...

sweety7272

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
hmmm....interesting.

Anyone know if this would affect Sonos listening - don't know whether that would count as listening via the web.

Sure thing is, I would think twice about having to pay £3pm for Last FM when I've already got Spotify.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
sweety7272:Anyone know if this would affect Sonos listening - don't know whether that would count as listening via the web.

Yes it does affect it:

http://www.last.fm/help/faq?category=104#508

"All Sonos products - Free until mid-summer 2011 for US, UK and Germany; subscription required thereafter "

scene

I suppose on the upside it is only £3pm for advert-free music, whereas Spotify costs £9.99pm, but you only get what last.fm choose, while with Spotify you can have what you want... Until now, everywhere apart from US, UK and Germany had to pay a sub, so I suppose it was just a matter of time...

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
and as folks have already said, the web version is still free. I use LastFM as a good recommendation tool. Their logic is pretty sound in choosing what to recommend and I've found lots of stuff I wouldn't have done otherwise. I have the phone app, but never really use it.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Big Chris:
Lee H:Yep. Got the email from lastFM yesterday.

Me too.

Although as a "valued customer" I'm getting 3 months grace.

Just realised I am getting the 3 Months also, will not pay after that i only use it g to get new artist ideas.

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
another fail.The music industry is getting turned on its head. And Spotify`s business model does not work as well as it could, look at their profits. Although this does scale very well...

Lovefilm/nexflix will merge services with music streaming such as spotify/napster/last fm only way they will survive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts