Large TV vs, Projector Screen for HD quality

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Please give me advice on what produces BETTER HD quality pictures...

1080p TV's or 1080p projector screens...

I hope to go with a projector + screen because it is bigger BUT will it maintain or even surpass HD quality TV...

please adivse...

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
If you want the best image then a projector is the answer but there are a lot of questions before you get there.

For a start there are a great many different types of 1080p projectors and they vary drastically in quality. If you can control the light in your room then units starting at £2k should offer you an experience close to a mid level to premium TV at sizes up to 90" diagonal. If you want bigger and better doubling hte budget will get you into the right ball park.

A

Anonymous

So you are suggesting I save 4K for a projector that is going to kick ass....

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Well I suggest you try to arrange a demonstration first so you can see how good the units can be but yes £4k is where you really start to see excellent performance kick in.

A

Anonymous

Cheers - mate,

Something like the SONY VPL - VW80??

That looks pretty awesome!

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I recently demod the Optoma HD20 and it was very good provided you don't suffer too much from the rainbow effect.

The recent big question in WHF suggested that the projectors started beating TVs in terms of pure picture quality at about £2000.

However, I did find the larger size of a projector image offered a quality all of it's own.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The VW80 was a great projector and often overlooked in favour of the JVC models. It is now an VW85 and if you can get it professionally calibrated the results are superb.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Depending on the budget available, you could look at the Mitsubishi HC700, which is one of the sharpest projectors we've had up and running in our demo rooms, including much more expensive models. But as mentioned, the benefits of projectors are undermined if the ambient room light can't be controlled.

A

Anonymous

would you class walls painted off white as part of the problem in dealing with ambient room light?

I will be able to black out my cinema room soon but I won't be able to re-paint it for reasons involving my wife..

I have a JVC HD350 properly installed next week along with a 7 foot screen and can't wait to see it all working

many thanks!

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I have the Mitsubishi HC7000 projecting a 120" image and it looks stunning. It works in dim light really well (unwatchable with my previous projector). Sky HD and BluRay are amazing but the real bonus is how well it upscales DVD's and Sky SD broadcasts.

The other benefit is that it is almost silent.

I am really pleased that I followed the advice from the 'Home Cinema Centre' and went for this model.

BTW I am projecting onto a cream coloured wall and not bothering with a screen as it makes the room look better!

A

Anonymous

Perhaps its a dumb question - but if I go with a 120" projector - is that going to perform equally well with game consoles as with blue-ray HD movie performance...

I would imagine so since all images would be coming through my Denon AVR 5308ic AV receiver...using an HDMI 1.4 cable.

Any comments??

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I run a Wii through my AV receiver to the projector and the up-scaled image is brilliant. We also tried an Xbox a while back and that also looked superb (the split screen multi-player is particularly good on a big screen).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts