Large Room - Engaging Sound Advice

singhmrp

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I have a pair of B&W 684 floorstanders along with a center B&W HTM61, these connected to a Marantz SR5009.

The speakers sit in a room, approx 24ft by 18ft.

The issue i have is when i play music I dont find the sound engaging. In a smaller room of my house I have a old Cambridge Audio A1mk3 with some really old/second hand speakers - its so great to listen to however I dont get the same with speakers in the bigger room.

So my questions are to get the sound to be more engaging/moving as is when listening in a smaller room - what options do i have:

- I forgot to run rear speaker cables at the time of construction in that room, so getting rear speakers is something that will require plastering etc which i dont really want to do.

- Should I really use a integrated amp like Marantz PM6005 instead of av reciever?

Thanks

singhmrp said:
Hello,

I have a pair of B&W 684 floorstanders along with a center B&W HTM61, these connected to a Marantz SR5009.

The speakers sit in a room, approx 24ft by 18ft.

The issue i have is when i play music I dont find the sound engaging. In a smaller room of my house I have a old Cambridge Audio A1mk3 with some really old/second hand speakers - its so great to listen to however I dont get the same with speakers in the bigger room.

So my questions are to get the sound to be more engaging/moving as is when listening in a smaller room - what options do i have:

- I forgot to run rear speaker cables at the time of construction in that room, so getting rear speakers is something that will require plastering etc which i dont really want to do.

- Should I really use a integrated amp like Marantz PM6005 instead of av reciever?

Thanks

Personally I think that if it's purely stereo playback you want then a stereo amp makes a lot of sense both financially and sound quality-wise.

Try adjusting your speakers to play across the shorter width and adjust listening position also. Failing that change your speakers as they are, from what you say, not up to the job.

singhmrp

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I placed speakers closer together so width between them is around 80% of my listening and its better.

Also increase centre channel - found that helped in improvong clairty of vocals when standing in the room.

When you say integrated amp makes sense financially as well, in what terms, wouldnt i still need somthing to plug all my HDMI inputs into?

Thanks,

singhmrp said:
I placed speakers closer together so width between them is around 80% of my listening and its better.

Also increase centre channel - found that helped in improvong clairty of vocals when standing in the room.

When you say integrated amp makes sense financially as well, in what terms, wouldnt i still need somthing to plug all my HDMI inputs into?

Thanks,

You never mentioned plugging anything in via hdmi before. What else are you using?

Financially better because you are not paying for anything to do with video and redundant amplifier channels. It's better to put your money into a quality 2 channel device if stereo is all you need.

singhmrp

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Yes so, there is a SKY box, blu ray player, ps3 and chromecast in the back of the av reciever.

And then theres the centre channel (which i brought just to improve dialogue when watching films).

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
So, what happens when you put your Cambridge Audio A1mk3 and your old speakers in your large room?

How do they sound?

As good as in the small room?

You may need to experiment with speaker postioning a bit when you try this, to get the clearest sound.

If they sound at least as good in the large room, there's your answer. Use them permanently there. And use them as your benchmark for any other equipment you fancy trying.

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
So, what happens when you put your Cambridge Audio A1mk3 and your old speakers in your large room?

How do they sound?

As good as in the small room?

You may need to experiment with speaker postioning a bit when you try this, to get the clearest sound.

If they sound at least as good in the large room, there's your answer. Use them permanently there. And use them as your benchmark for any other equipment you fancy trying.

+1 On trying out the positioning first, this can make a large difference to the sound that you are hearing. The basic principles you need to consider -

· How close are the speakers to the wall, try moving them forward and backwards

· What is at the side of the speakers. You are looking for symmetry. So ideally no doors or windows, or alcoves etc

· Also in an ideal scenario there would be no doors windows, bookcases etc at your first reflection point either (the place where the sound first hits to reflect to your ears as indirect sound). This confuses stereo imaging

· Finally, ideally face the short wall. This is to get the back wall as far away from you as possible as this is the wall that cause the most modal problems in a room

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts