Kudos Speakers with Naim?

empacher

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi there - Anyone have any experience with kudos, or more specifically the Cardea C1s? Looking for something that will go well with a Supernait: a standmounter that is maybe a little forward without being too bright in the treble. just seeing if it might be worth the (what for me would be considerable) trouble to try and set up a demo.

thanks

empacher

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes I am trying to look at Neat as well (the 3i) but the local dealer stopped selling Neat so this will be another difficult demo to orchestrate. I'm running Totem Model 1s at this point, which in general sound exceptional, but for some of the music I listen to, I'm finding the highs just a little bright (mainly an issue at higher volumes). I could happily stay with the Totems but I'm interested in kicking some tyres to see if i can find something else that comes close to the totems through the mid range but has a slightly rolled off treble.

I'm trying some Harbeth P3 ESRs next week, but based on a previous demo of these with my old kit, they could be a little too far in the other direction.

Yes, I can imagine Harbeths being a bit too mellow. If your Totems are that close to your ideal I would consider spending time on positioning them differently, or tweaking your room (rugs, curtains, etc., unless you want to get into proper treatment).

If that doesn't quite do the trick, then resort to speaker cables or maybe interconnects on a try before you buy basis. Most do this, and Russ Andrews now offers 60 day trials. Please note, my having mentioned cables may result in a deluge of 'they all sound the same' comments.

empacher

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep my eyes open for Dynaudio and PMC as well.

My placement and treatment options are somewhat limited but i'll do some experimenting to see if that could resolve the issue.

I'm using the full copper, low end Kimbers now, and was told (hypothetically assuming there is an affect), that these would be less bright than anything with silver.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
empacher said:
Hi there - Anyone have any experience with kudos, or more specifically the Cardea C1s? Looking for something that will go well with a Supernait: a standmounter that is maybe a little forward without being too bright in the treble. just seeing if it might be worth the (what for me would be considerable) trouble to try and set up a demo.

thanks
I have the Kudos x2 with the naim 5si and 5 cd player. In a medium sized room they sound lovely. I compared them to the neat motive SX2, the small ones, and they trounced them. Lovely sound

rdmaidment

Dec 27, 2008
Visit site
Kudos design their speakers using Naim electronics so not surprisingly work really well

I have just bought some C20's, sublime with a 282/HicapDR/200 fronted by an NDX!

Richard

rdmaidment said:
Kudos design their speakers using Naim electronics so not surprisingly work really well

Richard

Crikey, as well as Neat and Focal? Pity they can't concentrate more on their own speakers.

FWIW, many of the reviews I've read about Kudos speakers points to them having a bright top end. If that is the case I wouldn't recommend the combo, hence why they [apparently] match well with Class A and tube amps.

rdmaidment

Dec 27, 2008
Visit site
I've seen these reviews as well, I bought mine used and without audition (naughty I know!) to replace Spendor A5's and was concerned about this. My steer was from the Naim forum where nobody who has listened to Kudos speakers seemed to dislike them and they often won the comparative listen in a demo.

The Spendors didn't sound dull, so I did consider that there was a risk that the Kudos's would sound overcooked at the top end compared to the Spendors which are very smooth and a very pleasant listen. My fears were unfounded and they sound delightful. They are much less coloured than the Spendors, so the lower midrange colouration is gone, but the increase in resolution is very noticable.

The sound isn't cold though in any way, where the recording has warmth, then you hear warmth. They are not an inexpensive speaker, but partnered with the right electronics sound really good.

rainsoothe

Naim amps sound different between themselves - some are a bit brighter, like the 5i (italic), XS2, Unity2, and others are warmer, like the Nait 5si, the Supernaits and some of the pre-power ones (not too familiar with those). I think people partner Neats (smoother) with the former and Kudos (sharper) with the latter.

rainsoothe said:
Naim amps sound different between themselves - some are a bit brighter, like the 5i (italic), XS2, Unity2, and others are warmer, like the Nait 5si, the Supernaits and some of the pre-power ones (not too familiar with those). I think people partner Neats (smoother) with the former and Kudos (sharper) with the latter.

The difference IMO between Naim amps is the entry-level (5I) and the XS is the lack of subtlety with the former. Not the case with the right speakers (PMCs are the only ones I've heard with the 5i. Have tried RS6s but that combo was awful).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts