Koss porta pro v sennhieser hd 580 head phones

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
well i recently sold my hd580's after years of disapointment. I found them dull and 2 dimensional even with a musical fidelity headphone amp. yes they could go loud without distortion but that was about it, they made all my music lifeless. So i thought i'll just buy some cheap headphones and use the amp socket.............at 1st the koss portapro sounded good for the £20 i paid..........but seemed to be a bit rough at higher volumes................so as i am a great believer in 'burn in / break in' i discoverved that 4-5 days later of constant play at moderate levels (not too loud) has paid real dividends..............yes the drivers are smaller than the hd 580 but they are interesting, fun, detailed, bass is great, sometimes a little too revealing ! which for a £20 head phone is quite something. i would say they are like a semi quality sports car compared to a boring saloon (hd 580).............just wondering now if they justify getting another headphone amp again.........don't want to spend out on gadgets that are gonna make no real difference like last time ..............seems to me a lot of head amps are just fancy boxes...........would any portapro owners like to recoment a head phone amp that they found to be good with these phones..........

idc

Hi greenstiles. I am not sure from your post if you still have the MF amp and whether or not you are looking for a new amp to go between your existing hifi and headphones, or it is for a portable setup. So some thoughts....

Which MF amp do/did you have? Some Grados would have added the dynamic and life the Sennheisers lacked. I prefer the SR80s.

I dont have the PortaPros, but they get great reviews. If I go away on holiday I take my ipod, SR80s and a FiiO E5 amp. It is about £15 off Amazon. With its bass boost on the Grados really rock. It also adds to the dynamic of my Sennheiser PX200s. Seems a reasonable bet they would add extra drive and dynamic to the PortaPros. But it would not connect easily between an existing system and headphones.

A

Anonymous

Hi no longer have the MF headphone amp..heard good things about the FiiO........maybe give it a try with wife's Apple. Tried SR 80's for a while but can't remember enongh to compare.........but yes clearer........but i really like a bit of 3 dimensional stuff................still running in portapro......they jusy keep getting better ! Day 6..............yes would be looking for at home amp really.............but the way it's going i might be happy without , just using amp socket
emotion-3.gif

idc

greenstiles:..............yes would be looking for at home amp really.............but the way it's going i might be happy without , just using amp socket
emotion-3.gif

If you happy with the sound as it is and had previously tried the MF amp without success, then I would not change anything. After the FiiO there are a few headphone amps (from China primarily) that are not portable, then you are into the £100 plus price range, which seems a lot to pay for the easy to drive, designed to work with a portable setup, PortaPros.

A

Anonymous

Cheers...........now run in i'm very happy..........time to relax
emotion-9.gif
and listen
emotion-16.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts