Key points one should keep in mind?!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone list out the key points one should keep in mind while looking out for 2nd hand HiFi? Common pitfalls and how to avoid them? Good, Bad and Ugly experiences with used components? I see that a lot of us are considering 2nd hand components these days for various reasons. May be our experienced members can help all of us here… Thanks!

T

the record spot

Just a few in no particular order:-

Set your budget and stick to it!
Research the item you are buying - what are the common faults of the model you are buying and how old is the model you are looking into? Check the serial number and look it up on the manufacturer's website. If not available on there, contact them directly; Linn helped me out with the Mimik I bought last year. Others will do the same I'm sure.
If purchased from a dealer, is there a warranty?
If purchased off Ebay, what is the returns policy? Also, what is the seller's reputation?
What is the item's condition? As new? Scuffs? Any damage? Sold for spares?!
If bought from a dealer, is there a try at home and can you return for a refund or exchange? Some do, some don't.

Lastly, happy hunting - hope you find a winner!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I suppose I been very lucky so far with only 2 bad purchases (out of god knows how many!)

• When you buy try to get the seller on telephone, not just use emails.

• Make some effort to drive and meet the seller! may be half way if he is too far away so you can do a proper hand shaking.

• Always asked if the product is in original condition? and 100% working order?

• Don't bid on Ebay seller with "0 "zero feedbacks, I know we all have to start somewhere with zero but every scammers I have spotted on ebay normally have no feedback, dodgy photos or libery pics and will only accept paypal.

• Most importantly....if you are not sure, walk away.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I was stung very badly with an ebay purchase. The guy I collected an amp from said it had hardly been used when in actual fact the driver stage was faulty on the right channel through it being driven at high volume for long periods. This was difficult to prove as he denied the fault and I then happened to choose a local electrical repair shop that had already been closed down by trading standards (his shop was open as normal so I had no way of knowing). I lost a substantial sum of money to that con man who didn't replace a thing and I had to take it to Music Matters who did repair it properly at a cost of over £100. All in all an expensive ebay purchase.

The strange thing was the engineer Music Matters use who repaired my amp had worked with Trading Standards to test the con man in the local shop after TS had received complaints. He rigged an amp with a few simple faults and took it in to see if the shop owner spotted them. He didn't spot any of them but replaced a few parts that didn't need replacing and tried to charge £50. And then muggins here walks in a few days later and fell for his sales patter.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
That was harsh mate!

I had 2 similar stories to your but both time I manage to make him buy it back! I suppose I do look quite scary when I angry
emotion-14.gif

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Well, after three months of patiently waiting and hearing one excuse after another (usually he was waiting for parts) I went in with my wife but that didn't scare him strangely enough.

A

Anonymous

I'd suggest not buying anything with moving parts, it's just a crapshoot. Never buy unseen either (pics on ebay don't count). Consignment stuff at shops is good, as is buying pickup.

A

Anonymous

Very good suggestions indeed.

Record-spot & Thaiman, very relavant points. Am sure many of us can make a note of all these and keep in mind when we look around for 2nd hand stuff.

gpi, that was a horrid incident. Hope none of us will ever face such incidents. One of the reason I started this thread is due to a smilar incident that happend to a dear friend of mine recently. Thank you for sharing mate.

Ray, you mentioned not to buy anything with moving parts. Does that mean, we shoud stay away from record/cd players if possible or may be approach such adv with a pinch of caution?

Best Regards.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="unleash_me"]

Ray, you mentioned not to buy anything with moving parts. Does that mean, we shoud stay away from record/cd players if possible or may be approach such adv with a pinch of caution?

Best Regards.
[/quote]I would recommend it, the odds of getting burned on a mechanical item are way higher. I was a used-kit-only guy until recently and had neverending cd player woes. Turntables aren't quite as bad as they're usually highly repairable (given a small amount of technical ability) given the only mechanism is the drive motor. Although damaged bearings are always a concern.

With CDPs it's important to keep in mind that they have a relatively short lifespan and are very succeptable to bad environment and use habits. People often loose their cd decks on ebay and the like because they see the end coming and would like to get a bit of cash on their soon-to-be-deceased machine. I got the CA Azur 340 new when it first came out having completely given up on used ones, it was my only new machine for a long time and a great buy if only for reliability... well, only for reliability it's not the best sounding machine on earth.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Ray.

Is there any similar/particular points to keep in mind while checking out speakers and amps?!
What do you guys think about the so called modifications being done on the stock components, hopefully to improve the performance?
Something like these -
http://www.divaaudio.com/diva/divacd.html

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="unleash_me"]Thank you Ray.

Is there any similar/particular points to keep in mind while checking out speakers and amps?!

What do you guys think about the so called modifications being done on the stock components, hopefully to improve the performance?

Something like these -

http://www.divaaudio.com/diva/divacd.html

Cheers.
[/quote]
I'd just spend that money on better equipment. There's a million and one upgrades for nad cd players, but if I had that money I'd just buy a primare and be done with it. (personal preference)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, no one's actually mentioned this yet, and I guess it's because it's incredibly obvious to most. But, I'm guessing this post was designed for anyone thinking of buying second hand, therefore I'll mention it. And it is, know what you're buying. By that I mean, you've already listened to it in some capacity and therefore you know what it sounds like and if it will fit with your existing kit. Unfortunately, some people do think it's as simple as, get a load of WHF 5 star products, find them on ebay cheap, hook them together and, bang, great hi-fi. If you're lucky this might work, but it also might sound horrible!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]Unfortunately, some people do think it's as simple as, get a load of WHF 5 star products, find them on ebay cheap, hook them together and, bang, great hi-fi. If you're lucky this might work, but it also might sound horrible![/quote]

I know what you mean Hatty and that is why we are posting in HiFi forum to find out if products work together or not.

If you are buying new you must already demo them....I would.

TRENDING THREADS